Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help understanding why I don't like to do certain quilts or blocks? >

Need help understanding why I don't like to do certain quilts or blocks?

Need help understanding why I don't like to do certain quilts or blocks?

Old 09-02-2016, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

life is too short to do things we don't want to do. Just don't do it, and stop worrying about why you won't do it. There a bigger problems in this world to worry about other than why you don't want to do it. It sounds more OCD than ADHD. Just don't do it and you don't have to worry about it. No one said you had to use all the fabric. send it to people like me who enjoy using tiny scraps of fabric.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:10 PM

After the QAG that I am currently working on, my next project is a personal challenge for me. It will be a scrappy quilt. I will let you know if it works, since scrappy is very difficult for me too.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:23 PM

I make quilts for the pleasure of doing it, if I don't like doing something in a different way, then it is not an option. Do what makes you happy, there is nobody who is going to tell you that you have to do this in this way, or that way.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:25 PM

What a lot of folks don't understand is that a scrappy quilt is rarely about just slapping together scraps. It is often one of the most difficult patterns to work on. One reason is that we all have our likes and dislikes and we all have developed ideas about what we want something to look like. Quilters like the reason and logic to their patterns. We like the balance. So to do something that throws these things out the window can be very difficult for many of us. I am totally in awe of the people who do these scrappy quilts - most are magnificent. I fear that there is not enough headache medicine for me to be able to put a scrappy together, much less have it turn out nice!
Old 09-02-2016, 06:59 PM

I am a very controlled quilter, but the ladies I quilt with challenged me to try scrappy. Bet was starbucks coffee for a week. Challenge accepted, String blocks here I come. Cut strips and threw them in a bag, pulled out stripes nilly willy. Very out of my comfort zone but had a really good laugh. Quilt was donated o nursing home. They loved it.
Bythe way I didn't buy the coffee but sure enjoyed it!
Old 09-02-2016, 07:36 PM

There is no reason you NEED to make a scrappy quilt.
But there are so many out there that have solid (white, black, any color) sashings and backgrounds that are really cool. The one that has been floating around lately is squares of the same color family of scraps, Cut square on the diagonal and create the "Scrappy Star". I love that one. It's hard to believe it is all scraps.

Otherwise give your scraps to someone who will love them. I think it is Christmas when I get a new bag of scraps.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:06 PM

I agree with the other posters who say quilt the way you like, there is no 'rule' that you have to make a scrappy quilt.

I took an Improv workshop with Cheryl Arkison last year. http://www.cherylarkison.com/ We did work with scraps, but first we sorted them not by colour, but by volume of colour. We were 4 to a table and shared our scraps. I found that comparing the value of the colours, as opposed to the shade made it much easier to 'let go'.

So instead of worrying about putting green next to pink, I put a dark colour next to a lighter one.

I did discover that most my scraps have a mid range value. I need to add more lights to my stash.

An easy way of determining the value of colours is to take a photo of them and convert it to black and white. If the value is too close, it is hard to differentiate the pieces.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:02 AM

It really is all about personal preference. I once saw a huge display of Baltimore Album Quilts in Lancaster, PA. Yes, they are gorgeous but looking at so many felt like I was choking on way too much frosting. All of them in one room was just too much! I also have to have some control fabric when I do scrappy quilts. Somewhere to rest the eye and make sense of the design.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:46 AM

I believe that I have just taken scrappy to a new level. Finishing up a quilt that I did with a bunch of middle to high school kids, mostly boys along with some staff members- They made the blocks (strips) however they wanted - so I have every kind of block you can imagine. It is definitely a riot of color.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:47 AM

wanted to add - if your eyes need a rest on this one, you'll just have the close 'em