Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need helpful hints for a Winding Ways block >

Need helpful hints for a Winding Ways block

Need helpful hints for a Winding Ways block

Old 03-22-2016, 10:52 PM

No help with winding road but when I did drunken path I pinned in this order. First find the centre of seam then pin two ends now ease the sections between without moving the first 3 pins. Did a great job became easier over time. Sorry no picture as I gave it away.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:25 AM

Scroll down to third video. ;-)

http://www.backporchdesign.com/video-tutorials/
Old 03-23-2016, 01:28 AM

This one shows it close up. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlwVGoL4zV0
Old 03-23-2016, 03:15 AM

This is a Winding Ways pieced on my Pfaff using a water soluble glue stick. Just a touch at the beginning and end of the seams. A walking foot might help. I didn't have any problems matching the pieces. It may take a few blocks to get the hang of it but keep trying. [ATTACH=CONFIG]545712[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Last edited by Dogwood Quilter; 03-23-2016 at 03:21 AM.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:48 AM

Thank you so much for all of the help. I am heading off to my sewing machine with new ideas to try and lots of pins and a glue stick too.
Felinefanatic I have a quarter inch foot with a flange (pfaff machines) that looks like the curve master foot. I did try it with my DWR but those handy little centre marks on the go cutter pieces seemed to catch a bit and twist. I decided that the regular quarter inch foot was less trouble. If I had cut the pieces with a template though I think that foot might work well, I had forgotten that I had it.
I am working from a layer cake and had planned on making a wall quilt so I have enough fabric for extra blocks. I will remember to not use my favorite fabrics first though.
Paperprincess your quilts are just lovely and are just the inspiration that I needed to head back to the machine and try some more.
kristakzI am looking forward to seeing your quilt. I will check out your blog in hopes of a look at your progress.
Thank you for the backporchdesign links. I had watched those when I stated my NYB but hadn't thought to watch them again.
Dogwood quilter that is a beautiful quilt. it has enough contrast to show those circles off but feels so peaceful too. Thanks for the encouragement.

Last edited by coffeecozy; 03-23-2016 at 03:51 AM.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:06 AM

If you need more help, just wanted to let you know that Ann Peterson has a class on Craftsy called "Playing with Curves". In the class, she makes a winding ways quilt and demos it quite nicely.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:39 AM

Good grief, I had forgotten that I had watched that. I will review it as well. Thanks Mom :-)
Old 03-23-2016, 05:47 PM

Dogwood, I love your winding way. Mine is starting to come together. Here's a picture of where I am now. So far so good, and the 3 pins and going slow is working well for me.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]545842[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p3230738.jpg  
Old 03-23-2016, 06:00 PM

Looking good, kristakz. By the way, mine was cut with templates from Marti Mitchell. Easy to rotary cut with a 28mm rotary cutter. Good luck, coffeecozy you can do it.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:51 PM

I have this pattern and a plan to do it with scrappy Batiks. Thanks for all the suggestions. The die cut method sounds awesome if I can find someone who'll let me use theirs.