Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need ideas to take machine to class.

Quote Originally Posted by susieqwva View Post
    I just purchased a Janome 3160 as a traveling machine. It weighs about 12 lbs.
    I had a jem platinum for about 3 years, decided i wasn't too crazy about it so i just last week traded it back in to the dealer and bought a janome 3160 for traveling and i just love it. i pieced a bom on it the other day. i also have the problem of lifting much of anything, sure is heck to get old, isn't it. the employees at our local dealer are always more than willing to come out to our vehicle and haul in all our stuff and haul it back to the car when we're ready to go home. they are the best.
    donna
    love people and use things, don't use people and love things

This is why the old Singer featherweights are so cherished.

I have the usual complaints-hip replacement, knees with bone on bone and an ankle that is falling to the inside of my foot (pronating.) I'm only 65 but was psychologically starting to fall apart. I've always been a physically strong person but the pain can wear you down. I'd begun to feel like I was getting old and my options were reducing sharply...a wheel-chair was next.
    I did two things. First, I bought one of those rubbermaid grey carts with wheels-about $100...the ones that the repair and audio visual folks would push around at corporate when I was there. I no longer have to make many trips from the car with groceries. The cart is lightweight, moves easily and I also move it from room to room to hold my cleaning supplies etc.
    The second thing I did was take myself back to the gym and gently exercise 5 days a week. The body will regenerate more quickly than you can imagine. In just 8 weeks, I'm seeing amazing results. I can now stand for more than 5 minutes while in a store. I can roll over in bed and not drag myself. I can pick up my groceries and bend and put them away and not be breathing hard. And I am beginning to do things without thinking twice about them such as lifting a leg to stand on and get out of the car instead of the twirl park bench oof method of getting out of the car. No matter what the injury, one can find exercises to work around them.
    I also have the Janome Gem which is just great but frankly I can pick up much heavier now. So, ladies (and guys) I'm betting exercise is coming last and maybe it would be a surprise for you if you would try it and find out, you're not helpless and hurt. You're much stronger than you think. Hope somebody gets inspired from this. Planet Fitness $10 per month.

Janome 3160 for class....it only weighs 11.5 lbs. Also has the auto thread cutter for piecing!
    Love it.
    D in TX

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think Leighway and all the rest of you have hit on the solution--a lightweight machine does not have to cost a fortune. I got a $90 Brother at Walmart that sews just fine for my classes (I've even free motion quilted on it, but prefer not to as no speed regulator).

I also think Leighway is right--we all need to be moving those parts more! I bought a DVD for excercises you can do either standing or sitting as a start. Plus I'm still rehabbing a new knee so do water therapy 2X a week and weights at home---you don't have to buy hand weights--even canned food or a large sack of rice make good weights. You might be surprised!

I also bought a Gem Platinum for classes. I've taken all kinds of classes with it and have had no problems. I made a patchwork cover that fits over the hard cover to hold all the accessories, manuel, class book, rulers, etc. I just pick it up and go! It's been great.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FranW View Post
    I also bought a Jem just for classes. It has been a lifesaver!
    and I keep it in a Tutto in my car's backseat - so it's there when needed

Go online and look at Target. They havel wheeled carts (laundry, grocery, etc.,) is all sorts of configuations. You might find one that will load and then slide into your car. I use this type of cart every time I have to carry my machine and supplies to class.

A Singer Featherweight would solve your problem. Mine is a delight -- easy to tote, a joy to use, and a real conversation piece in classes if there are students who have never seen one. Just another reason to own one of these fabulous machines.

How about a small aluiminum ( spelled wrong ) ramp. We bought a set to put my MIL's electric wheeler chair in the back of my Ford Excape or my husbands truck. They fold in half and are very light weight. But it would be cheaper to use a board.
    Country 1

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I have a lighter machine for classes and I have the cart with wheels that it fits into. I strap my rolling case onto the back seat. It isn't very far to the ground from the seat and it has a pull up handle to wheel into class. I still have a little lifting but not too bad. I don't know how to eliminate all the lifting unless you can bribe an able bodied youngster that could help unload and load at class.
    Ditto..... small machine, rolling cart and friends to help if needed.

I would suggest a neighbor/teenager at home to help and talk to the LQS owner, if an employee would be available to help. You can NOT be the only one with this problem, as so many of us of 'older'........but an inexpensive cart is a good idea.....perhaps you could even find something at a local thrift store !!!!

If I was going to do classes, I'd have to buy a lightweight machine. My old kenmore is in a cabinet, and weighs a ton!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I use my Featherweight for classes and retreats - unless the class or projects require a machine with more advanced features.

I bought a Brother SQ9050 at WalMart for $200. It is lightweight and even does FMQ reasonably well. Speed adjustments, on off with no foot pedal and lots of stitches. I'm not thrilled with the walking foot but if you use low speed it works fine. 11pounds too I think, I have it in a rolling cart and it's not too heavy for me to lift into the car.
    "An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." Edwin Land

Blessings! Ruth

I have a featherweight that I take to classes. Only does a straight stitch, but most classes only need straight stitching.
    My husband said,"If you can't carry your machine down the flight of stairs and put it in the car, you don't need to be going to classes. Not very supportive!

Quote Originally Posted by GreatStarter View Post
    I bought a featherweight machine I use for straight sewing classes. For classes where I need a machine that does specialty stitches I bought a little "Audry" by Baby Lock. It only weighs about 12-13 lbs and comes in a fabric case that really doesn't add much weight. I can easily carry and lift it when I need to for a class. Before those two purchases I wasn't taking classes due to the weight of my good machine.
    Good luck
    Kat

Elna has brought back the Lotus. I had one years ago, its no bigger than a toaster. Looks like its updated now, but still just as small and light. Perhaps that's the answer!

I have a 10# Brother that I take to classes. Got it from Wal*Mart. Soon, I'll have to be taking my Bernina 820 in. My husband will put it in the car for me; and the women at the shop help me get it out. After it's out, I can wheel it in.

Buy a light weight machine for classes. My only machine a little Brother RunWay model and it sews like a dream and is lightweight and easy to carry and lift on and off tables. It also doesn't take up a lot of room.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

I had this problem years ago when I gave lessons in a church fellowship hall. There was no one around and we helped each other but I recommended to buy a janome which is smaller and light to carry and also to get the carrier that they use to use on airplane carry ons. Everyone does not have the money to go taxi or hire some one to help carry your machine. I had 22 in my class and we never had any problems. quilt for fun Grandma G

Quote Originally Posted by Peepers View Post
    I bought a Janome Jem just to take to classes. It's small and weighs a lot less than my Bernina.
    I also have trouble lifting heavy items and have a Gem for classes and sew ins. Sometimes I put it into a cloth tote and have another tote filled with scissors, threads, etc.

I bought a machine at a garage sale and leave it where I take classes and our quilting group meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Country1 View Post
    How about a small aluiminum ( spelled wrong ) ramp. We bought a set to put my MIL's electric wheeler chair in the back of my Ford Excape or my husbands truck. They fold in half and are very light weight. But it would be cheaper to use a board.
    If you can wrestle a board, weight it would need to be to not buckle you don't need it anyway.

http://www.professionalcarts.com/catalog.asp?id=6 I googled collapsible gurneys and came up with a bunch. Look through and let us know what they cost. This sounds like a perfect way for someone that needs a helping hand but can't find one or feels like they are imposing (you are not) doesn't have a hubby,or just wants to do themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by susieqwva View Post
    I just purchased a Janome 3160 as a traveling machine. It weighs about 12 lbs.
    That's exactly why I bought one as well! My Janome 6600 was just to heavy for me to lift. I had major surgery 4 months ago and for the first couple of months I could even lift the 3160, I was limited to no more than 5 lbs. My quilting buddies were wonderful helping me! They even came to the house to pick me up so I could go to friendship group meetings!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast