Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need opinions about fabric quality from Connecting Threads >

Need opinions about fabric quality from Connecting Threads

Need opinions about fabric quality from Connecting Threads

Old 05-03-2011, 10:21 AM

Sorry to write again, the latest posts say "not made in America". I hadn't heard that before. I really thought I read that it was in their last catalog. So please dis reguard my first post, well other than the thread thing and customer service thing. I'm now disapointed about the change in the "made in America thing." Dang.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by insgal62
I am getting ready to start a very large quilt as a wedding gift for my friend's daughter. Her Mom recommended the colors to be black and grey to match the new comforter set she had purchased for them. Then they would place my quilt neatly folded at the foot of the bed.

I spent days looking for fabric only to be hugely disappointed not only in the lack of choice in grey and black tone on tones. But what little I could find was extremely poor quality fabric. Very thin and crappy. I spent hours looking online and came across two of the three fabrics I need for this quilt at Connecting Threads.com Customer Service told me they manufacture all their own fabrics. Has anyone been ordering from them and if so . . . how did you like the quality of the fabric? I need 15 yards of one particular fabric and I would hate to order that much and be stuck with something that was poor quality. I'd love to hear your feedback!

Thanks everyone! Sandi
I just love all the fabrics I have ordered from Connecting Threads - they are top quality - customer service is fantastic.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:30 AM

I have ordered several times. I think the quality is great. Even their batiks. Maybe not quilt shop quality, but my quilts are for everyday use and their fabrics hold up well to repeated washings.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:44 AM

Ok, to put my mind to rest, I called the number given when you clickthe above link and spoke to a rep. of Connecting Threads. Here is the scoop....There is no fabric manufactures in America, thus the outsourcing. As far as where the cotton comes from, the rep said she didn't know. But she did know that it wasn't "only" from America anymore as it used to be. This change took place about a year ago.
As quilters, we all heard about the cotton problems and the increase in costs of fabric. They are at this time buying outside of the US to keep prices down. There is the Info as I got it.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:45 AM

I just searched on their site. There is NO mention of the fabric being made OR the cotton grown in the US that I could find.

Originally Posted by gotta-sew
I have purchased lots of their thread, love it, great colors as well. Quick shipment, great customer service, all grown and made etc in America, Wahoo. Yea for supporting America.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mattee
CT is not LQS quality. I have ordered from them many times and used their fabrics often. I just made a bag of theirs this past weekend. It's comparable to some of the better Joann's fabrics (not the keepsake stuff). I prefer to find LQS fabrics on sale when I can. My favourite places for this are fatquartershop.com and fabric.com. I have also had huge problems with CT's customer service, so just know that they're not universally helpful.
I beg to disagree about Connecting Threads Customer Service. I placed an order with them last week - I got it within 6 days - When I opened it, I found they had sent 2 incorrect yds,- when I called Customer Service. I was told to keep the 2 yds had I didn't order and they would send out the correct fabric ASAP. Apologizing all over the place

Also, I think the quality of their fabric is LQS quality - I have been going through my stash - ironing & refolding all my fabric to store on the shelves I put in my closet. Connecting Threads fabric is every bit as good as the LQS fabric I have purchased. It is a nice weigh and washes beautifully
Old 05-03-2011, 11:09 AM

I just searched on their site. There is NO mention of the fabric being made OR the cotton grown in the US that I could find.

I have purchased lots of their thread, love it, great colors as well. Quick shipment, great customer service, all grown and made etc in America, Wahoo. Yea for supporting America.
I have never purchased their fabric, only their thread, I have never seen the salvage edge to confirm to the USA thing. I have only-----only gotten their catalogs. My remark was based on what was written in their catalogs and the receipt included that again stated that. This is why I took the time to call the company myself. Thus the previous post. I had no intention of misleading or angering anyone.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:09 AM

I love Connecting Threads fabrics and threads and their customer service has been very good for me - fast shipping, no crazy "handling" charges and they have fixed two minor issues very quickly.

There are a couple of their lines that I wished I had bought a lot more of, especially the focus prints from Riviera - so pretty!
Old 05-03-2011, 11:13 AM

Sandi
I have ordered from Connecting Threads, and I also receive their catalog. I ordered a pack of 5" squares. I made a quilt out of those and added very little of my own fab. I am very pleased with the quality of the material. Hey, made in the USA! Hope this helps.
Boslie/Pat
Old 05-03-2011, 11:37 AM

I have never purchased their fabric, only their thread, I have never seen the salvage edge to confirm to the USA thing. I have only-----only gotten their catalogs. My remark was based on what was written in their catalogs and the receipt included that again stated that. This is why I took the time to call the company myself. Thus the previous post. I had no intention of misleading or angering anyone.
Thanks for taking the time and calling! I appreciate the accurate info.