Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need opinions about fabric quality from Connecting Threads >

Need opinions about fabric quality from Connecting Threads

Need opinions about fabric quality from Connecting Threads

Old 05-03-2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by gotta-sew
Originally Posted by Mattee
I just searched on their site. There is NO mention of the fabric being made OR the cotton grown in the US that I could find.

Originally Posted by gotta-sew
I have purchased lots of their thread, love it, great colors as well. Quick shipment, great customer service, all grown and made etc in America, Wahoo. Yea for supporting America.
I have never purchased their fabric, only their thread, I have never seen the salvage edge to confirm to the USA thing. I have only-----only gotten their catalogs. My remark was based on what was written in their catalogs and the receipt included that again stated that. This is why I took the time to call the company myself. Thus the previous post. I had no intention of misleading or angering anyone.
Thanks for taking the time and calling! I appreciate the accurate info.
You are so welcome.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:57 AM

Wow everyone!! Thank you for all the comments and for checking with CT about the made in USA or not. That is way above and beyond the call of duty here! I was just curious as to everyone's experience's with them and I think overall most people have been pleased. Some of you feel it's as good as LQS fabric some don't. I am really not expecting it to be at LQS standards, just not as bad as what I saw at JoAnn's and Hancock's. I did order some samples of the fabric I'm considering and they are shipping it out. I just ordered a fat qtr. of each color I was looking to use. So thanks to one and all for your quick and timely responses! I greatly appreciate them.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:13 PM

Honestly, I love CT fabrics. They wash up so nice and "feel" wonderful too. I've used them in lots of quilts and just received my latest order of Batik fabrics. You won't be disappointed.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:50 PM

I'm glad you've had such good luck, but I'm not sure how you can disagree that I've had bad luck.

Originally Posted by JUNEC
Originally Posted by Mattee
CT is not LQS quality. I have ordered from them many times and used their fabrics often. I just made a bag of theirs this past weekend. It's comparable to some of the better Joann's fabrics (not the keepsake stuff). I prefer to find LQS fabrics on sale when I can. My favourite places for this are fatquartershop.com and fabric.com. I have also had huge problems with CT's customer service, so just know that they're not universally helpful.
I beg to disagree about Connecting Threads Customer Service. I placed an order with them last week - I got it within 6 days - When I opened it, I found they had sent 2 incorrect yds,- when I called Customer Service. I was told to keep the 2 yds had I didn't order and they would send out the correct fabric ASAP. Apologizing all over the place

Also, I think the quality of their fabric is LQS quality - I have been going through my stash - ironing & refolding all my fabric to store on the shelves I put in my closet. Connecting Threads fabric is every bit as good as the LQS fabric I have purchased. It is a nice weigh and washes beautifully
Old 05-03-2011, 12:53 PM

Love their fabric. Just as good as qs fabric but much cheaper
Old 05-03-2011, 01:09 PM

I've used the batiks and love them. A friend orders from them all the time and her quilts are lovely. She has no complaints about quality.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:21 PM

Well, gals, I guess it all boils down to personal preference. Must admit that when I first ordered from CT I did so because they said it was Made in the USA and, it probably was at the time. Most of us just don't like change, myself included, but with inflation where it is and expected to go higher, I think they will continue to find the best quality they can. We have several quilt shops within a 75 mile radius of my home but, I too as mentioned by someone else, have purchased fabric from them lately that is not the same standard as before. One piece frayed so badly I wasn't sure I would have enough left for my 1/4" seam allowance. I continue to use CT when they have what I'm looking for and I've not been disappointed so far.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:27 PM

P.S. I contacted CT Customer Service Dept and just received this email which I will "copy and paste.
__________________________________________________ __________

Our fabric is still made with USA cotton but there are no working textile mills in the States. We have used manufacturing plants in India and Mexico. Our current fabric collections are being milled in Indonesia. The pricing reflects savings to you because there is still no middle people.

Sincerely,

Daryl
Connecting Threads Customer Service
Old 05-03-2011, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Wonnie
Well, gals, I guess it all boils down to personal preference. Must admit that when I first ordered from CT I did so because they said it was Made in the USA and, it probably was at the time. Most of us just don't like change, myself included, but with inflation where it is and expected to go higher, I think they will continue to find the best quality they can. We have several quilt shops within a 75 mile radius of my home but, I too as mentioned by someone else, have purchased fabric from them lately that is not the same standard as before. One piece frayed so badly I wasn't sure I would have enough left for my 1/4" seam allowance. I continue to use CT when they have what I'm looking for and I've not been disappointed so far.
I don't know what's happening, but I bought a beautiful Robert Kaufman. I prewashed it and to my surprise, the salvage edge frayed. That was new for me. So could the quality be adjusting across the board? Just a thought.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Wonnie
P.S. I contacted CT Customer Service Dept and just received this email which I will "copy and paste.

Our fabric is still made with USA cotton but there are no working textile mills in the States. We have used manufacturing plants in India and Mexico. Our current fabric collections are being milled in Indonesia. The pricing reflects savings to you because there is still no middle people.

Sincerely,

Daryl
Connecting Threads Customer Service
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________
And, this was my original email to them:

"DATE: 5/3/2011 10:55 AM
SUBJECT: General comment/other issue
PRODUCT No:

"Have been following a thread on the www.quiltingthread.com website re your products. Many, many affirmative responses but I was sad to hear that you no longer use USA produced cotton and manufactured product. Say it isn't so.......(????????)"