Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some border help please >

Need some border help please

Need some border help please

Old 08-09-2010, 08:44 AM

I don't understand why you add the step #3. Other than that, it's exactly how I do it!
Old 08-09-2010, 09:34 AM

Wow, Scissor Queen, your comment about how you piece together your blocks, never thought of that! I'll see how that works with my next quilt

I couldn't understand what the problem was with borders. But now i understand why it is important to square up your quilt before putting on the border. But I use the method of cutting to the length plus a little more and cutting off the excess. I didn't know you're supposed to have the exact measurement and ease in. thanks all.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:58 AM

I don't measure my borders - I cut the width I need for the borders and make sure it is longer than the quilt. fold the quilt in half, and lay my borders on the middle of the quilt, and carefully, 2,3 or even 4 times smooth it and make sure top edges are even. When I am satisfied it is as even and straight as it can be, I cut to length while it is on top of the quilt, being careful not to cut the quilt. Fold in halves, quarters, fold the quilt sides in half, quarters etc and put pins together at marks, and pin
I have never had one come out crazy.

Jackey in MO
Old 08-09-2010, 10:48 AM

If you have more than one border on a side make sure they are both cut the same way - either lengthwise or crosswise of grain otherwise they will be wavy.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:15 AM

1. Press quilt with dry iron.
2. Measure quilt through middle (vertically and horizontally)
3. Add 2x width of that measurement and cut border strips to that length
4. Attach top and bottom borders
5. Attach side borders[/quote]

Hi Shannon,
I see two things that give me pause - first of all, I'm with the others that don't understand step 3. If I am reading it correctly,
after you measure the middle, both lenghtwise, and crosswise,
do you add something to that measurement? If you are, that
could be your problem, because you only need the exact width and length that you get when you measure - nothing added to that.

I think the other thing is pressing the whole quilt first, even with a dry iron. The dry iron part is good, but pressing really stretches the quilt unless you just put the iron in one spot, leave it for a minute (without moving the iron back and forth at all), and then move to the next spot.

You are measuring the best way, because if you measure in the middle, both vertically and horizontally, you will get the right
measurement for your strips.

When you cut your strips, never double fold the fabric (double folding is where you take the folded edge and fold it again to the selvage). I know it is easier to cut that way, but that almost always gives you wavy borders that are very hard to make lay flat. It is always best when cutting strips of any kind to measure from the folded edge and cut the entire width of the fabric, using a long ruler.

After the strips are cut, find the middle of each border strip and pin that to the exact middle of your quilt. Then, pin each end of the border strip to the ends of the quilt. From there, pin every few inches, either working in any excess you may have, or stretching the border slightly to stretch out any that you might need too. If you feel more comfortable pinning every inch or so, that is fine, but the main thing is the pin enough to keep the border secure, especially in spots that you might have to ease in excess fabric, or stretch out spots that need to be.

I, personally, always sew the top and bottom on first, then the sides, but I suppose that is personal preference.

Others have been right that if the quilt itself isn't straight, it is hard to get the borders straight, but using the technique above will almost always help pull the quilt in or work it out so that it will be straight in the end. Oh, one more thing is to make sure any inner borders are done the same way as the outer borders, because inner borders that are wavy or bowed will absolutely affect the outer border.

You have gotten other good suggestions. I think you are on the right track, but I hope these tips help.
Marcia
Old 08-09-2010, 01:16 PM

I tried measuring top middle and bottom taking an average....It worked perfect
Linda
Old 08-09-2010, 01:22 PM

Thank you for this discussion....especially Scissor Queen for your assembly method. I'm a beginning and (so far) have not had trouble with borders but all of these tips are so useful. I always learn something from every discussion on this Board!
Old 08-09-2010, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by AnitaSt
Thank you for this discussion....especially Scissor Queen for your assembly method. I'm a beginning and (so far) have not had trouble with borders but all of these tips are so useful. I always learn something from every discussion on this Board!
Thanks. It's because I was a beginner and decided I really don't like long seams so I figured out how to do it another way and discovered the quilt came out squarer that way. So now I always do it that way.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:21 PM

Scissor Queen, did you ever get moved?
Old 08-09-2010, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
Scissor Queen, did you ever get moved?
We got moved although I haven't got the sewing room unpacked yet. I've got about half of it unpacked so far but I need hubby to help me move some furniture and he's been working 12 hour shifts for a week. As soon as he recovers from that we'll rearrange and I'll get the rest of it unpacked.

I gave up hunting for my camera battery charger and my computer speakers and just got new ones.

As soon as I get the next quilt to the assembly stage I'll do a tutorial of how to put the blocks together not in rows.