Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some help!! >

Need some help!!

Need some help!!

Old 05-20-2010, 07:54 PM

I had a similar problem when quilting a Downy quilt. My batting was pretty heavy and weighed my quilt down too much. I had to put on rubber gloves and 'help' it along. This helped. also I put my quilt on a couple of phone books to further reduce the drag. Will never use that batting again! Hope you figure out what did it. Let us know.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
Take that piece out and try a regular piece of fabric to see if it is the machine or the bulk of the fabric causing the tiny stitches. If it is the machine it is possible that the bobbin is hanging up somhow. I have to ask, did you put the foot down while changing the tension? If you didn't, it didn't change a thing. It has to be down to change it.
Also, check the way the thread is being held all along the line of the machine. Sometimes it accidently gets stuck somewhere, or the tension disks need cleaning with apiece of dental floss. All else failing the machine is just not happy with the density of the quilt. Oh one more thing... open up the machine and clean out any threads hanging around that don't belong there.
The stitches are fine with 4 layers of regular fabric. I did change the tension with the foot down....but, good point! Easy to forget. The machine did get a good cleaning but your idea about the thread sticking is something I didn't think of!!!!! Will try that....thank you so much!!
Old 05-20-2010, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
Originally Posted by JudyG
I was having a problem yesterday with little tiny stitches. I was so frustrated. I turned my machine off and when I came back and tried it again, it worked fine. Why? Who knows.
It was the quilting fairy. She waved her magic wand over your machine and fixed it.
Gosh, I hope the quilting fairy stops by at my house tonight!!!
(Probably get the tooth fairy instead

:lol:
Old 05-20-2010, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by AnnaK
I had a similar problem when quilting a Downy quilt. My batting was pretty heavy and weighed my quilt down too much. I had to put on rubber gloves and 'help' it along. This helped. also I put my quilt on a couple of phone books to further reduce the drag. Will never use that batting again! Hope you figure out what did it. Let us know.
OOOOHHHHH......PHONE BOOKS!! Now there's an idea! Thanks. The batting I used was really just about as thin as it comes but I will try the books to easy the drag.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
did u drop your feed dogs?
What are feed dogs and where is it?
Old 05-20-2010, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by RagdollRosey
Originally Posted by virtualbernie
did u drop your feed dogs?
What are feed dogs and where is it?
Aren't they those little four legged creatures that bark for treats???

Actually, they are the "teeth" under the presser foot that moves your fabric along as you are stitching.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:25 PM

My machine did that once. Anyways, it turned out to be the weight of the baby blanket and it not moving freely. Hope you get yours figured out.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:10 AM
Banned

What kind of walking foot are you using. Is it made specifically for your machine or is it a generic "brand"
Old 05-21-2010, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
What kind of walking foot are you using. Is it made specifically for your machine or is it a generic "brand"
The walking foot came with the machine. So, I'm thinking it is the weight. Thanks!
Old 05-21-2010, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by danmar
My machine did that once. Anyways, it turned out to be the weight of the baby blanket and it not moving freely. Hope you get yours figured out.
At this point, I believe that is my problem as well, even though I used a very light weight batting.