Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need suggestions on how to take good photos of my finished quilts >

Need suggestions on how to take good photos of my finished quilts

Need suggestions on how to take good photos of my finished quilts

Old 02-29-2012, 07:42 AM

I call my one of LQS's. I arrange to use their hanging method, whatever it is, to hold my quilt. They don't mind as long as there isn't a class going on at the time.

I don't have to bother about sun and shadow ... and the LQS is very well lit. The display area is meant to show off the entire quilt to best advantage. After all, they want people to sign up for classes so they display many finished quilts and projects.

I just use my digital camera.

Otherwise, if I didn't have this available I would use a wall in one of my church's room, like the fellowship hall.

I do have a design wall that is 8' x 8' but prefer to hang my quilts to get pics.

ali
Old 02-29-2012, 09:13 AM

I use pants hangers too, anywhere the quilt will fit...front door, garage rails, etc. "Leggz48": I love your idea, may have to try that!
Old 02-29-2012, 12:27 PM

I struggle to find somewhere to take pictures of quilts in my small house, and as I live on top of a hill, it's usually a bit breezy and they move around too much if I hang them outside. But skirt/trousers hangers over a door - that might work. Thankyou.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:20 PM

I can go out to the clothesline on the calmest day, no wind, and as soon as I hang up a quilt to take a picture, the wind picks up!Without fail!! very frustrating...
Old 02-29-2012, 03:06 PM

If you would like to take a picture where the stitching pattern shows up (many longarmers photograph their work specifically for this) then sidelighting is the way to go. You want a distinct source of light, such as near a window or sliding glass door on a bright-cloudy day or one that faces north (in northern hemisphere) on a sunny day.

To show the piecework or applique you want a broad, diffuse light source such as outdoors on a bright-cloudy day.