Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need suggestions for new machine >

Need suggestions for new machine

Need suggestions for new machine

Old 06-24-2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by KimS
Oh my gosh! I can't believe I forgot about having this!! When we started talking about vintage Singers it reminded me I have my Grandma's. I've never used it but I know she did and it has a new spool of thread on it so that's a good sign. I had a magnificant treasure right under my nose and didn't realize it. Please ignore the "junk" in the picture. It's called too much stuff and not enough storage room.
Look at that!! She is a Jewel!
Old 06-24-2011, 12:28 PM

Vintage go for a 301 or 301A which does FM...feed dogs drop
New Husqvarna Viking...sensor foot that automatically lifts with your foot, no manuel lift handle...Great for privoting...
Old 06-24-2011, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

How fabulous that you found your grandma's machine! I think you will love using it. I have several vintage machines and they are fun to use.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:32 PM

My Grandma kept everything so it was no surprise I found the owners manual. Oiled everything up and cleaned the dust and lint out as well as I could. Plugged it back into the outlet, put a piece of material under the needle and away we went. Wasn't ready for how fast it went. LOL!! Will take some getting use to but I'll use it now that I remembered it.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
My Singer died and I called the repairman and he said due to the age and type it would cost more to fix it than it's worth. :cry:
don't cry........my doctor said the same about me.
You tell that doctor I said you ARE worth fixing. :D :thumbup:
Old 06-24-2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by lyndaloo
Oh my gosh! I can't believe I forgot about having this!! When we started talking about vintage Singers it reminded me I have my Grandma's. I've never used it but I know she did and it has a new spool of thread on it so that's a good sign. I had a magnificant treasure right under my nose and didn't realize it. Please ignore the "junk" in the picture. It's called too much stuff and not enough storage room.
Look at that!! She is a Jewel!
:thumbup:
Old 06-24-2011, 03:05 PM

You will be very happy with your new found treasure. They have their own distict purr about them. Don't even look at the new Singers....even the Singer rep says they don't make them like they use to.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:12 PM

Beautiful! There you go! You got an excellent machine to FM with (feed dogs drop), you can service yourself, and it is a gorgeous cabinet and stool.
With the money you just saved on purchasing a new machine, you can go buy lots of fabrics.

Enjoy that all metal machine!
Old 06-24-2011, 06:54 PM
Power Poster

How could you have forgot that beautiful machine?
Old 06-25-2011, 03:22 AM

I like my straight stitcher, Brother Nouvelle 1500s. It has a wide 9" throat and a flat bed, extra quilting table extension and the height and pressure of the foot can be adjusted to accommodate different thicknesses of material The feet and parts are not expensive and it is not computerised.You have to keep oiling it as it gets very loud when it needs some lubrication.