Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need suggestions for new machine >

Need suggestions for new machine

Need suggestions for new machine

Old 07-02-2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Oooooohoooooo! Is that a Singer 15-91? That is the number one vintage quilting machine and it pieces great too. No need to go shopping unless you want tooo. this babay can do it all and with some minimun care will keep going for ever.
Yes it is. It belonged to my Grandma but now lives with me. I'm working with her to get use to how she runs. Can you adjust the stitch length on that machine?
Old 07-03-2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by KimS
I played with Grandma's Singer the other day and was sewing together jelly roll strips for my son's quilt. Is it just me or do others find it a little hard to keep the 1/4" seam straight? The machine is so "free" that I found out quickly I couldn't hold the 2 pieces together inches away from the needle and just let the machine pull the fabric in. I had a 1/4" seam, a 3/4" seam and no seam at all. LOL!! I had to keep my hands right by the needle to make sure I kept everything on track. Probably just take some getting use to. I did find a Janome 3000 and it should be here today. I'm so excited!!! My hubby said now that I have 2 machines maybe I can make a dent in the boxes and boxes of fabric I have. Told him I rather doubted it because for every piece I used there would be 2 more to take it's place. That's how it's done right?! ;-)
Kim S; I have a 15 -91 and the knob that is above the needle, the one with threads ,to screw it down or up ,this adjusts the foot so it will sit lighter or firmer on the fabric , it sounds like it it needs to be firmer on the fabric , its worth a try anyway . your fabric should not be able to move with a light touch when the foot lever is down good luck and happy sewing , Dottie Bug
Old 07-04-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Dottie Bug
Originally Posted by KimS
I played with Grandma's Singer the other day and was sewing together jelly roll strips for my son's quilt. Is it just me or do others find it a little hard to keep the 1/4" seam straight? The machine is so "free" that I found out quickly I couldn't hold the 2 pieces together inches away from the needle and just let the machine pull the fabric in. I had a 1/4" seam, a 3/4" seam and no seam at all. LOL!! I had to keep my hands right by the needle to make sure I kept everything on track. Probably just take some getting use to. I did find a Janome 3000 and it should be here today. I'm so excited!!! My hubby said now that I have 2 machines maybe I can make a dent in the boxes and boxes of fabric I have. Told him I rather doubted it because for every piece I used there would be 2 more to take it's place. That's how it's done right?! ;-)
Kim S; I have a 15 -91 and the knob that is above the needle, the one with threads ,to screw it down or up ,this adjusts the foot so it will sit lighter or firmer on the fabric , it sounds like it it needs to be firmer on the fabric , its worth a try anyway . your fabric should not be able to move with a light touch when the foot lever is down good luck and happy sewing , Dottie Bug
Thanks! I'll take a look at it. :-)
Old 07-04-2011, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Oooooohoooooo! Is that a Singer 15-91? That is the number one vintage quilting machine and it pieces great too. No need to go shopping unless you want too. This baby can do it all and with some minimun care will keep going for ever. Maybe set the Singer 15-91 up for free motion quilting and then use the new Janome for piecing. Have fun! And yes, I also bought the free motion foot for the singer 15-91. I have a hard time without it making the quarter inch seam.
I've had some suggestions made from those here to get Margaret to operate a little better. It seems like there are loads of people who love the 15-91.