Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need suggestions for new machine >

Need suggestions for new machine

Need suggestions for new machine

Old 06-25-2011, 09:38 AM

I am thrilled you found your Granny's machine. Just in case anyone else is looking for a new machine you might consider this option. I just bought a BabyLoc from Jackman's here in St.ouis. You may not have a Jackman's Fabric store where you are, BUT you may have a deal like this where you are. Jackmans gives lessons in sewing and quilting and after a year, they sell their classroom machines for 50% off. I just happened to be taking lessons when this happened. The company came out with another updated version of the same machine after these had only been used for four months. They had to start using the new ones right away, so the old ones were sold then. It's a great machine. They cleaned it all up, serviced it, packed it in the original box. It is just like BRAND NEW. You get the same warranty on it like a new machine PLUS free lessons on using it.
The lessons are given in sets of four mornings a month. You can take the lessons as many times as you want. I am starting my second set next month. I am still not 100% comfortable with my machine, but I can review what I learned last month and learn even more the second time around.
The teacher is great and very helpful. There are only two other ladies in the class so I feel like I am getting private lessons.
You might check into this concept if you have a store that gives lessons using their machines. Good Luck!
Old 06-25-2011, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
Originally Posted by KimS
Originally Posted by butterflywing
My Singer died and I called the repairman and he said due to the age and type it would cost more to fix it than it's worth. :cry:
don't cry........my doctor said the same about me.
You tell that doctor I said you ARE worth fixing. :D :thumbup:
Been there. I run my own business, raising my 11yo DGD, make 4-6 quilts per month, every month, visit 3 hospitals a week, feed 5 in the family,all home cooked. I am 72 yo and dear DR says, "I don't think you have the strength to recover from an operation on your back, so just continue taking pain pills, after all, youndon't have that many more years to worry about". Off to find a new DR, I fired him!
Do you ever find the time to sleep? LOL!! Don't blame you one bit for firing that doctor. I'd probably have told him where he could put his opinion on my way out the door.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:54 AM

I have that machine also and would NEVER get rid of it. I have had that machine close to 30 years and have NEVER had a problem with it. I have 2 other newer machines and always use my old one most of the time.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:09 PM

i bought a new singer about a year and 1/2 ago it was the same model as one my mil got her was great mine sucked so its just sitting and i broke down and bought a brother sq 9000 this spring and all i can say is wow i cant stop sewing now lol. so im a brother convert nowalthough i do like my old kenmore alot as well i just felt like i wanted more stitches and needed a spare machine as well but i love it so much the kenmore is the spare now ))).
carla
Old 06-25-2011, 12:25 PM

My Grandma kept everything so it was no surprise I found the owners manual. Oiled everything up and cleaned the dust and lint out as well as I could. Plugged it back into the outlet, put a piece of material under the needle and away we went. Wasn't ready for how fast it went. LOL!! Will take some getting use to but I'll use it now that I remembered it.
Congrats! You won't be sorry you saved the 15!
Old 06-25-2011, 02:40 PM

Looks just like my grandmother's sitting in my dining room. Now before you use it, oil it and lube it. If it has been sitting for a while, she may be a little dry. I oil and lube "Florence" just so she keeps on purring. You can't do better than a Singer Vintage. I have 3 including my newest Featherweight.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:37 PM

Your Grandma's machine is wonderful, its a 15-91. I have a 15-90 that got a motorectomy so that I can treadle it.
You'll find that it sews a beautiful stitch and you can even quilt with it.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:55 PM

I have been doing FMQ for about a year and have tried it on my Pfaff Quilt Expressions 4.0, my Brother CS6000i and my Elna 6005 Heirloom Edition. I love my Elna, it is a dream machine to me even though it is over 10 years old. I love it so much that I bought a second one as a back up on E-Bay. The Elna is now made by Janome and the feet are interchangeable. I highly recommend this work horse.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by MsElaine
I'm so glad to see your photo. It reminded me that I have my late mother in law's Singer which is just like it. I've been using it as a table and forgot that it was a sewing machine. LOL Thanks!
Don't feel bad. I forgot about having it too. Aren't we just a pair. LOL!!
:thumbup: I have this same machine and it sews perfect. My avatar is a 1932singer 101 & it sews perfect also has a large throat plate for free motion it is slower than the 1947 -15
Attached Thumbnails attachment-217345.jpe  
Old 06-27-2011, 09:56 AM

Kim - I have no doubt you will enjoy "grandma's" machine and in your mind it will always be hers. What a treasure and what an awesome way to love your grandma by using. I have no doubt that Grandma would love that. What a wonderful thing to remember you had!