Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need Suggestions for Sashing

Blog Entries

Need Suggestions for Sashing

This is a Friendship Quilt that has been languishing. I'd like to get it finished to donate it. My questions are what color to use for sashing and should I use cornerstones? At least one of the squares is slightly undersized, will sashing help to even things out? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ​Julie S.

If you have a stash, I would start trying different colors. I would say to try the brown but then you block in the top row 2nd block will vanish. Another thing would be do an alternating sashing using the teal on the prominent brown blocks and brown sashing on the teal blocks. That way you get the best of both world.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

What lovely blocks!!! I am no good for sashing help, just wanted to let you know I like those blocks!!

Dina

Very nice blocks, love the colors. I hate to say it but I think maybe ivory, the illusion of which I can see in the picture due to the background. Those are such nice colors to look at, the ivory/cream would really let them shine.
    My Machines: Singer Featherweight 221 (c. 1940), Kenmore 158.1430, c. 1926 Free, Singer 66-8 Redeye 1921
    Coveted: Singer Rocketeer, Elna Supermatic (green)

Blog Entries
    I think I've found my sashing! I just used this fabric on a bee block! Funny how things work out. My question now is - for the pieces that go around the outside they're longer than WOF, would you piece them or buy enough yardage so that you have a continuous piece?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ​Julie S.

Looks perfect for it, to me. I would go with it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Love the colors in your blocks and that is beautiful sashing go for it. Also I would piece it when needed, once finished the seams will never be noticed.
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Actually I would use the brown for the sashing and make cornerstones the darker teal. As for the sashing. I usually cut WOF and piece on the diaginal.
    "In the crazy quilt of life, I'm glad you are in my block of friends."

I just wanted to say your blocks are lovely.
    Lori

Power Poster
    I think I would measure all the blocks to see how much variance there is in them.

Then decide what to do next.

(If you have not done this yet.)

Power Poster
    The light aqua fabric you are thinking about using for a sashing - the design seems "frail" compared to the "strong" prints in the blocks - IMO

Working with a variety of blocks like you have has always been extremely challenging for me.

I actually liked the look of them laid out on the first picture with a cream or light background so the blocks would stand out. I like to use cornerstones when using sashing - I think it is easier to get things lined up when using them.

Beautiful blocks and I was going to suggest maybe using a cream color for the sashing but I really like what you have chosen.

Blog Entries
    How does the amount of variance determine what my plan of action is?
    ​Julie S.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by baronreads View Post
    How does the amount of variance determine what my plan of action is?
    For examples:

If the blocks are from 12.25 to 12.75 inches - I would cut sashing strips 12.50 inches and ease in the sashing to the short blocks and ease in the bigger blocks to the sashing.

I prefer to work with less variance - but on a 12 inch finished size - 1/4 inch is more or less manageable - unless working with batiks. Batiks are less cooperative.

If the variance is over 1/2 inch from the "expected" size - then you might consider framing the blocks to make them all the same size - and then put sashing between the frames.

Or you could trim them to all the same size - or redo the smallest block to try to make it bigger.

First time I did a block exchange - it did not occur to me to measure them all before trying to put them together!

Blog Entries
    Thanks, this was very helpful!
    ​Julie S.

Blog Entries
    Back to the drawing board! I can't find the fabric ANYWHERE! There was some on Etsy and it was sold the day before I inquired about it! I guess it wasn't meant to be. I may need to make a trip to the LQS.
    ​Julie S.