Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need your advice...marking top for Handquilting >

Need your advice...marking top for Handquilting

Need your advice...marking top for Handquilting

Old 02-22-2010, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
I usually mark as much as I can quilt in an hour or so. I use ordinary chalk and it would rub off if I tried to do the entire thing.
This is a great idea and you wouldn't have to worry about getting the markings out.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:01 AM

I usually quilt with the pattern so I mark as I go along.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:21 PM

Thank you so much for your generous information. It may hang on my design wall for a while longer. With my last handquilted top, I used .25" tape until I got to the borders, where I used the blue, wash-away marker. I decided that I am ready for some fancier hand quilting designs.

As far as design/pattern, this is one of Deb Kauffunger's wonderful mystery quilts from her Quiltaholics.com site. It was at least 6 years ago and I am sorry that I don't know which "Weekend Whatever #" it was.

Thanks again for your kind words and suggestions.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:49 PM

I mark as I go because more than once I have changed my plans for quilting lines. I use a small sliver of soap for marking so I know it will wash out.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:57 PM

They use to say mark the quilt top first. That never worked for me. I mark a space that fits in my hoop and mark as I go. I think more hand quilters mark a little at a time. I don't know many that mark the entire top anymore. Especially if you are using chalk. I have a chalk mechanical pencil called Bohin/France, I love it. It comes in white and green.http://www.thebestkeptsecret.com/cgi...cking5=froogle
Old 02-22-2010, 09:28 PM

I always use a blue marker that washes out with water, but not the purple because it disappears almost immediately. The way I do it is I mark the quilt top before I sandwich it.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:54 PM

How (or if) I mark a quilt for quilting depends on the design of the quilt and the quilting.. some I don't mark at all if I plan on following a design in the fabric or a geometric that follows pattern lines. I have used regular #2 pencils.. but with a VERY fine point. that way the thread covers the lines. I've never had a problem being able to see the lines. I've also used silver or white pencils.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:51 PM

I use a water soluble pen also. I tried all type of chalk markers, spent a lot of money, and didn't like any of them. They were always rubbing off before I quilted.

Thanks to Hula Hoop 1 for suggesting the pens...I ordered two right away.

On the side, my mom used to call the water soluble pens "spit pens." She sewed clothing and would just spit on her finger and rub out the marks! Of course she's the one who used to spit on a kleenex to rub a dirty spot off my face!
Old 02-23-2010, 04:33 PM

My mom called them spit pens too, for the same reason. How weird.

I only mark as I go. I marked a whole one out once and the marks were gone by the time I got it all the way in my floor frame. NO WAY JOSE am I repeating that. I mark as much as I can work in once sitting at a time.

I either use spit pens and wash it out as I move it or I use plain chalk. It depends on the color of the fabric.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:04 PM

I agree-mark as you go, and no,no, no pencil - use something erasable or disappearing.