Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need your advice...marking top for Handquilting >

Need your advice...marking top for Handquilting

Need your advice...marking top for Handquilting

Old 02-23-2010, 05:48 PM

:( Absolutely Gorgeous Quilt. BUT, (emphasis only) Do Not Mark with a regular no. 2 lead pencil!!!!!!!!!!!! Ask me how I know. I once marked a bride's maid gown using carbon paper to mark the dots! What a mess and I had to wear it anyway! Silvia
Old 02-23-2010, 08:10 PM

I usually use pencil, but it can be tough to get out. Read recently that you should only use high quality artist pencils, marked 2H or higher. I'm not sure what the 2H signifies, but I found them without difficulty. Let you know when I use them!
Old 02-23-2010, 09:48 PM

there are quilting marking pencils, these come out ok but don't use a lead pencil. I also have used the soap sliver. they are great especially on dark colors. and they rub off easily.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by anorton
I usually use pencil, but it can be tough to get out. Read recently that you should only use high quality artist pencils, marked 2H or higher. I'm not sure what the 2H signifies, but I found them without difficulty. Let you know when I use them!
2H is the hardness grade of the lead in the pencil. #2 pencil is what we used in grade school. 2H would be used by carpenters to mark wood, etc. It would make a lighter mark.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:56 AM

Fons and Porter mechanical pencil now has several colors of chalk and it works so well. I have never had a pencil that continuously makes such a fine line that is easy to see. As any chalk pencil, it does brush off with constant movement of the quilt, but I can still see the original to trace over as needed. I think I would only mark the area I'm quilting in the frame.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:41 AM

I have used most, but come back to the water dissolving qult marking pen - it stays on until you spritz it. If you mark too heavy it might take more spritzing. Just be sure you spritz it off BEFORE you wash the quilt because I have heard comments about detergent setting the marks.
Good luck with using the frame. I quilt on a hoop except when working at a guild where a frame is in place. I find that I need to do more contortions with my hand and body to get all those different directions on the frame, so still prefer the ease of a hoop (and yes, I quilt queen & king sizes on a hoop too).
Old 02-24-2010, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by MNQuilter
I'm not really sure what to tell you. There are a couple of ladies on here who exclusively hand quilt and they may be more help. I know that Fons and Porter have special mechanical pencils for marking fabric. There are two colors of lead, white and gray. I plan to give them a try. I've used water washable pens on my quilt without issue and it stays in place.
I love the Fons and Porter white pencil. I've tried a number of different ways and this is wonderful! I also mark as I go. I tried once doing the whole thing and wasted my effort because I still had to mark it again!
Old 02-24-2010, 07:31 AM

Ok I'm going out on a limb here.
I have did mostly hand quilting, and on a quilt like this I would quilt inside of each square or trangle following the seams. Then I would mark the floral in the middle and the borders and quilt them.
Remember I have not been doing this very long so this is just what is easy for me.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:57 AM
dsj

I am a hand quilter too, I mark as I go. I am working on a piece for myself that I marked with a pencil and I didn't like the pattern I have washed it several times and I still see the pencil mark. I used the grayish pencil, I can't think of the name but the leading quilters pencil. I have to say I like the disappearing or wash away markers I have had great luck with those. Although, I never use those on old vintage fabrics when restoring quilts. The only thing about the chalk that I have found is that it is dusty and if you have allergies it can trigger sneezing attacks and coughing and it really dries out your fingers and hands. I guess it is just trial and error. If you are leery about the pencils mark a piece of muslin first and then throw it in the washer and see if it comes out. I will definitely be doing that the next pencil I use.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:44 AM

BEAUTIFUL QUILT. I USE A CLOVER BLUE AND A WHITE MARKER AS THEY COME OUT WITH COLD WATER. WHEN USING STENCILS I MARK THE WHOLE QUILT. BUT I USE A COTTON SWAB AND WATER TO TAKE MARKS OFF AS I GO.