Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need your opinions >

need your opinions

need your opinions

Old 07-19-2010, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Ragann63
Not sure you really want my opinion! You can tell by my avatar I like old things - I can't imagine painting this chair white! So sad. I agree with sewnsewer, many a true antique has been ruined because the owner wasn't aware of what they had. Although I wouldn't care for what you are doing, I wish you luck if you choose to do it!
I like old things too and most of my furniture is antique but it is pretty beat up! I love it like that!! That white ring on the end table is a reminder of my supervisor who sat her glass there, Scatch on the glass of the coffee table of a vase or child playing, rubbed off stain on a chair, A well loved and use piece of furniture. I do not refinish any of mine, I have recovered the chairs tho. I polish with lemon oil. I think it is your chair and for $5.00 you can do what you want, it will be lovely. The finish does look to be in good shape tho. My bed is about 150 years old, just a small amount of lemon oil and it is in great shape. I love to think about who may have used that bed all those years ago.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:58 AM

I have looked the chair over carefully and I did not find any marks anywhere. And until then I also did not realize that the seat doesnt have any type of cushion, springs only. Its actually not comfortable at all. I have searched everywhere online and I cant find one like it, I even looked at all 8000+ antique/vintage chairs on ebay! Ive read everyones responses and pm's and you will be happy to know I will not paint the chair. It is in good condition so I will just recover it after I figure out how to do that with the springs and no cushion problem. I didnt realize this would be a touchy subject. I too like antique/old/vintage furniture, most of what I have is and I have painted some things in the past that look alot better. Thank you for your opinions and ideas and making me realize this chair isnt the right one for this project.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:11 AM

Would you ever consider selling it even it it was worth say $200.00? If not go for what you like, I think it would be beautiful done as you explained. No I do not think it is worth a lot of money mine were in my husbands family so sentimental is what they are. Do what you want with it it was a bargin! Dare I tell you I think my sons burned mine? I do not see it in the basement where it was stored!!
Old 07-19-2010, 05:30 AM

I feel the same way about old things whether they've come down to me or are treasures I've found. They bear a silent witness to the daily lives of others before me. I hate to change them too much and if I do have to change something I try to make it in keeping with the original. It's been interesting to see the range of opinions this chair has elicited on the board!

Originally Posted by Up North
Originally Posted by Ragann63
Not sure you really want my opinion! You can tell by my avatar I like old things - I can't imagine painting this chair white! So sad. I agree with sewnsewer, many a true antique has been ruined because the owner wasn't aware of what they had. Although I wouldn't care for what you are doing, I wish you luck if you choose to do it!
I like old things too and most of my furniture is antique but it is pretty beat up! I love it like that!! That white ring on the end table is a reminder of my supervisor who sat her glass there, Scatch on the glass of the coffee table of a vase or child playing, rubbed off stain on a chair, A well loved and use piece of furniture. I do not refinish any of mine, I have recovered the chairs tho. I polish with lemon oil. I think it is your chair and for $5.00 you can do what you want, it will be lovely. The finish does look to be in good shape tho. My bed is about 150 years old, just a small amount of lemon oil and it is in great shape. I love to think about who may have used that bed all those years ago.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:33 AM

We had a chair like that when I was growing up. I think it was probably from the late 30's early 40's as my parents got married in 1938 and built the house in 1941/42. The upholstry on yours looks to be from the 70's.

I personally would not paint it, as that is very hard to remove if you decide to go back to the natural wood, due to all the detailing we both admire. I've not had good luck with taking off paint to restore a lovely piece of furniture or woodwork.

Do really love the idea of a quilted seat and back. You should find it very easy to recover, just remove the current fabric and use it as a pattern.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:43 AM

WEll if you makes you feel any better (made me feel worse)I just went and looked for my chair like that- GONE!! guess that means the day I looked out and saw the biggest fire of the century that the chair was in that heap!! My darling boys helped me out by cleaning the basement! Grrr they burnt a lot of things I wanted and right now when I look I can see two different table legs in the fire pit form pieces of furniture that needed a little repair. Well it is gone now. They were so proud of themselves!! I looked out in time to see a couch that I had planned on recovering bursting into flame!!(I still have the fabric)
Old 07-19-2010, 05:55 AM

They obviously meant well, but OUCH!!!

Originally Posted by Up North
WEll if you makes you feel any better (made me feel worse)I just went and looked for my chair like that- GONE!! guess that means the day I looked out and saw the biggest fire of the century that the chair was in that heap!! My darling boys helped me out by cleaning the basement! Grrr they burnt a lot of things I wanted and right now when I look I can see two different table legs in the fire pit form pieces of furniture that needed a little repair. Well it is gone now. They were so proud of themselves!! I looked out in time to see a couch that I had planned on recovering bursting into flame!!(I still have the fabric)
Old 07-19-2010, 06:12 AM

Oh, Im sorry! Its hard to be mad when they had good intentions. Id be a little peeved though. Well, alot peeved and next time Id be right there supervising!!
Old 07-19-2010, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by loves2quilt
Oh, Im sorry! Its hard to be mad when they had good intentions. Id be a little peeved though. Well, alot peeved and next time Id be right there supervising!!
I was at work when they started their (Helpful) project!!
Old 07-19-2010, 06:18 AM

Are you sure they didnt say lets gets this junk outta here before she gets home? LOL