Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needing pattern ideas >

Needing pattern ideas

Needing pattern ideas

Old 02-09-2016, 06:13 PM

This is a quilt I made for my sister after her husband died. She gave me his shirts; I filled in with what I had in my stash to make this quilt. It is called "Sister's Choice" and is from the free pattern section on Bonnie Hunter's site - quiltville.com

I think the same pattern would work with what you have and what you can contribute from your own fabrics.
Attached Thumbnails dsc02426.jpg  
Old 02-09-2016, 10:01 PM

If we're talking about adding some pants fabrics, the Denim Stars quilt makes a great memory quilt. I plan on using my husband's khaki pants in place of the denim. It might work for you, too. http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/quilt...19873~n8c67m1b Brick Work of Windows would work great, too. http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/quilt...90700~g71k8eir
Old 02-10-2016, 04:08 AM
Power Poster

I think the suggestions for using the "bland" colored shirts with a darker contrasting color as in your avatar are great. I have found that when you make a memory quilt, you don't have to just use the shirt material. This needs a contrast or a sashing between these shirts in my opinion.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:54 AM

I recently made a quilt for my son from his deceased father's shirts. I wish I could post it for you, cause it turned out very well. (I'm having trouble getting my pics into paint to reduce them- not tech savvy enough, I guess, and no one to help me here) I simply cut 10 inch squares from the backs of the shirts. Then I cut off a 3.5 inch piece up the side and used a 1.5 " contrasting dark strip to reconnect the square. Then I cut the square again, perpendicular to the first cut, and along the side 3.5 inches and again used the 1.5 " strip to connect. To make the quilt, I used the same 1.5" contrasting strip to sash the blocks, and turned them every which way to please my eye. Then, in a scrapbooking type of way, I randomly sewed on the labels from inside the shirts just for fun. I FMQed it using a large loopy cursive L design suggested by my dear quilting friend. It came out so well!

Another friend saw the quilt and wanted to make memory pillows from her late father in law with me, using the same pattern, so we are now making 9 memory pillows for the grandkids and kids and mother in law, using the same block, only smaller. They are turning out great too.

Hope you enjoy your project! Let us see the results (if you're more tech savvy than me!)
Old 02-10-2016, 05:21 AM

This is an inspired answer! I agree.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:50 AM

I saw a beautiful Log Cabin quilt in a lovely little shop in Missouri made of all shades of off-white/beige, really lovely.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:53 PM

Default needing pattern ideas

You may want to check out Bonnie Hunter. She does have ideas on using men's shirts.

Quiltville's Quips & Snips!!: Free Patterns!

quiltville.blogspot.com/p/free-patterns.html
Old 02-10-2016, 04:08 PM

when you start moving the pile around, you will see nice combos. I agree with the others in using one or two base colors (perhaps a light denim blue and a warm medium brown). These would blend but provide a contrast. I say to use whatever pattern you are comfortable with. Your friend is going to be overjoyed with whatever you make. What a wonderful thing for you to do.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:56 PM

Neanie: love the Sister's Choice Quilt - you did a great job!
Quilted sunshine - I think I will stick with shirts for now, but those are sharp.
twinkie: I'm thinking of a dark navy
Joy: my tired brain cannot visualize - I hope you get the posting figured out
Jamsbuying - all neutrals? I do like low volume quilts, that would be nice to see
valleyquilter - yes, I'm familiar with BH. My avatar comes from her site
klswift: I'm leaning towards a dark navy and a medium navy.

Someone posted a link to this quilt on one of the threads, and I'm thinking I will try this one:
http://letsquiltsomething.blogspot.ca/search/label/Free

Beat of my heart it is called. At least that is my idea today, I could change my mind again!

Thanks everyone for giving suggestions.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:57 PM

Do you have a name for the pattern in your avatar? I think it would look great with men's shirts and I would like to make one.