Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Neutral colors >

Neutral colors

Neutral colors

Old 03-16-2018, 11:14 AM

I made a quilt for my son, with his logo on it. He wanted it red, black and white. The areas are large and I couldn't imagine how boring it would be to make using those solid colors. He was very open to my making it scrappy, so that's what I did.
I consider the "white" areas neutral, and there are a LOT of colors in it. Here are some photos to show what I mean:
Attached Thumbnails part-2-closer-up.jpg   fu-logo-quilt-finished.jpg  
Old 03-16-2018, 03:38 PM

Your top photo shows exactly what 'low volume' means to me (and what Bonnie Hunter defines as 'neutral.') I love this look.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:59 AM

To me a neutral color is a color that can be used with any other color in that quilt and still look good. It depend a lot upon the shade of the fabric and what colors that you are using with it. For example I am working on a quilt and I have this soft pink material that has more then one shade in it and that is my back ground that I am using for my neutral color. From there I am using different shades of Aqua, burgundy, pink, blue and greens. When I making a quilt that is not scrappy I try to keep my colors down to 5. They can be different shades of the 5 colors. For me that just makes it so much easier. I don't know how to post a picture. But I hope it helps some!
Old 03-21-2018, 11:55 AM

Hi - Yes, brides are really loving the neutrals right now. I recently made a queen size quilt for a bride and groom in neutrals, which was whites, creams, and grays. This was her colors, but I used a pop of coral. They absolutely loved it. I have posted it before under the pictures section, but I will see if I can attach it here. I love color but I really liked the neutrals once I got used to it. Hope you enjoy making yours!
LaDonna

Old 03-21-2018, 02:20 PM

That's a beautiful quilt, plays10s! I love your use of the coral. Neutrals are so soothing.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:15 PM

Lisa - Thank you! Yes, I did find that this quilt was so soothing and refreshing, actually! I usually like color - Kaffe Fassett
Old 03-22-2018, 08:02 PM

A long time ago I took an appliqué class with Pat Campbell (a fabulous appliqué quilter and prolific book author who has since passed away) and she said that she thought of fuchia (spelling??) as a neutral. Any color works although at the moment I am totally enamored with grey!!!!
Old 03-23-2018, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
I consider dark navy as a neutral. Don't forget white, cream and ivory.
I tried dark navy as a neutral once and didn't like the way it turned out. The three resulting blocks will wind up on the back of another quilt some day.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:44 PM

Thank you everyone for your input on neutral colors. I just heard from the bide's mom and her colors are grey purple and blue Now to find the pattern I had found that was modern.