Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New to accuquilt -- input on applique technique >

New to accuquilt -- input on applique technique

New to accuquilt -- input on applique technique

Old 12-11-2015, 10:20 PM

You should not need a stabilizer to blanket stitch. If you decide to satin stitch instead, then I would get a tear-away paper stabilizer for that... or a wash-away stabilizer would also work.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by RST View Post
I've been playing with my new toy and have come up with 29 different ways to applique using the orange peel die. I'd love to come up with a nice even 36 methods, a different approach for each block in the table runner I'm making as an experimental sampler. Maybe some additional ideas will come to me as I work through the 29 I've got so far ; )
Please explain 29+ ways to appliqué....or do you mean that many different design stitches to hold down????
Old 12-12-2015, 07:13 AM
RST

Nope -- 29 different methods of applique, both hand and machine all of which use the die cut in some way. Only 3 or 4 different stitches from the machine count as different techniques, to my mind. While of course you could use any number of decorative machine stitches, in my categorizations, they would all be variations on blanket stitching.

Some of my #'s 30-37 are not strictly applique, but are alternate uses for the orange peel die shape. I'm working through them and will blog my collection of ideas someday, maybe.

I've been a quilter for a long time, and I've collected a whole bunch of techniques, some of them better than others for sure, but my sampler table topper will allow me to try them all out and see which I like best-- and also which hold up best under daily use and washing. If I get really organized, I may try a construction time estimate for comparison too.

Thanks for the FB suggestion, Clairvoyantquilter-- neat group, with lots of good info.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
That is the reason that I never have considered getting one of these cutting machines is that you are stuck with their dimensions. I am working on a flip flop quilt for charity and here is how I use Heat n Bond light.
Interesting idea . . .are the blocks shaped like flip flops or is the entire quilt in the shape of a flip flop?

I understand what you mean about being stuck with the die dimensions. I was less than thrilled with my stock made stocking die so had one custom made. If you dsign it, they will make it . . .and now you can order dies for GO.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:11 PM

wow, I have no idea what you are talking about, but I am excited to see it. I hope you will share what you've come up with. Color me intrigued.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:08 PM

I iron my fusible to the fabric before cutting out the applique design. Saves a lot of time and I use the zig-zag or blanket stitch to applique.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
here's a technique I've used. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tyAig7XupI
using the GO die makes the quilt go much faster.
I have both the template from MSQC for the orange peel as per tute, and also the die from GO. Unfortunately the die is designed for fusible application as per company...but if one wants to use as in MSQC tute the peel will be smaller by that 1/4" seam. I started the peel project using the template and fusible interfacing, so will finish it that way...but will use the die using fusible web application...not windowpane...applying on fabric piece, then cutting out die, although there will be waste..but it will have its place.......decorative more than useful.....I just thought of something- how about cutting the peel design from only the fusible, then ironing to fabric and then hand cutting out the design..more time consuming, but maybe more conservative of both fab and fusible?..
Old 12-15-2015, 12:52 PM
RST

That's an idea, Geri, and not one of the 36 I came up with ; )

In my mind, if I'm going to fuse, I'm going to take advantage of the speed and accuracy of the die cutting. The only way I would want to hand cut my fabrics is if I am going to be having a hand or invisible applique technique used. But I like thinking of all possible scenarios, because chances are, there is some situation in which a less common approach would be just the thing.