Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Addiction: Cathedral Window

Quote Originally Posted by Paula H View Post
    I had been wanting a hand sewing project for evenings in front of the TV. I started a Cathedral Window because I really need to use up some stash. Instead of using a muslin or cream background, I'm using a small yellow print that I probably have 25 yds of. What fun. It's mindless and addicting.
    You're right, CW is addicting. I have completed 4, all hand work. My favorite pattern.

please show pictures love hand sewing inevening suzieQ

I too sometimes wish for a hand project for the evenings in front of the TV. I've thought of GFG as a project but not Cathedral Windows. Hmmm...

I've done two large cathedral window quilts--queen sized. One by hand and one by machine. I enjoyed doing both. Absolutely. The hand one I did a lot of while on a vacation trip and mostly I had to just kind of babysit an older lady.

It IS addicting. And beautiful!

I too am awaiting pictures!!
    Remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,

but by the moments that take our breath away.

Would also love to see pic. Where did you get/find pattern? I love doing handwork also, have made about a guzillion yo-yo's! LOL! Was also thinking of doing GFG, as someone else mentioned. GladGrams, I just love that little poem/saying as your signature, I copied it down!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Quote Originally Posted by glenda5253 View Post
    I too sometimes wish for a hand project for the evenings in front of the TV. I've thought of GFG as a project but not Cathedral Windows. Hmmm...
    What is GFG?

Quote Originally Posted by nstitches4u View Post
    What is GFG?
    It is: Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt pattern. Very pretty!
    Bootsie
    Bootsie

hoping for a pic
    Margie....wannaBsewer
    favorite poem..Outwitted by Edwin Markham...He drew a circle that shut us out..heretic, rebel a thing to flout.
    But Love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in!

I love cathedral window, I used to carry it around in a bag and sew whenever I got a chance. It can be addicting. Have fun!

It is always good to keep a no brainer around I do just for when i have something on my mind but need to do something. a cat window will be beautiful

Pictures--Pictures !!!! I for one do not know how to post a picture. I just haven't taken the time to figure the process out. I would rather quilt !!!LOL Rowena101

Quote Originally Posted by Sewnique View Post
    It is: Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt pattern. Very pretty!
    Bootsie
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Blog Entries
    Would love to see pictures
    The Quilting Bear

Looks like we aren't getting any pictures. boo hoooooo
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

I go a little crazy (ok crazier) if I don't have handwork to do of an evening.

I need something to do in the evening while watching TV. Otherwise I fall asleep. Cathedral Window is my take along project. I have taken it along to Europe and on various car trips, also I like to work on it when visiting in the hospital (DH was in for a week over New Years Day) He wanted me there all day and I needed something to do. I like to keep my hands busy. I've been working on one for about 6 years so far. In no hurry to finish it.
    Sue

thanks for the encouragement. I'll post pics as soon as I figure out how to do it. I'm a little technologically challenged

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowena101 View Post
    Pictures--Pictures !!!! I for one do not know how to post a picture. I just haven't taken the time to figure the process out. I would rather quilt !!!LOL Rowena101
    If you don't mind, I will post a pic of what I am working on to aide them in their mutual picture addiction which I definitely join them in, lol. I have been hoping I would find others who are also currently working on a CW. If you would like me to help you in posting pics, just PM me, I would be happy to help if I can. I bet your background fabric will look beautiful!

This pic is just a few units laid beside each other as I was determining design. They are not all sewn together. I am also using contrasting thread color for my windows to give it more character. Working in "units" as it makes it easier for me to handle. Thus far, I have 9 completed units done. It is being done completely by hand using a backstitch to join them and a running stitch on my windows. I attempted to join by machine but have determined that I am not meant to operate machinery, lol. I am a beginner quilter who has only made one other quilt which was a crib size hourglass 15 yrs ago. I have a lot to learn in the quilting world.
    Attached Images Attached Images

https://www.facebook.com/thelumbertoncottage/
    "If there is a will, there is a way" they say.

This is beautiful.I like your color. I am doing Quilt -As-You-Go by Margaret Gutowsky. I can make it as large or sm. as I want to. I made a table runner a while back. It is also good pick-up T.V. work. Your CW is beautiful. I hope to do one someday soon. As for posting a pic. I have printed out the directions now all I need is time & patience. Thanks for your offer, I may still need it. LOL Rowena101

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries

mimi quilt cathedral window back lit

I started with 4 inch base squares. After correct folding, the accent fabric was about an inch..would love to have the time to start with a 7 inch base. What is your base square you are using? I love the effect back lighting gave this mini.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sometimes you just have to sit in a chair and jog in order to get anywhere.
    Ell

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    Very nice!
    Sometimes you just have to sit in a chair and jog in order to get anywhere.
    Ell

Teresa and chairjogger, what beautiful work! The backlighting does bring out the pattern quilt well. It makes me want to get mine out and start again! (I will someday, after the - too many deadlines! )

Teresa, the fact that you are doing this by hand awes me. I am not sure what I would do without my machine.
    Quilt Mom

Going through life one stitch at a time

Blog Entries
    These pics make me really want to find the pattern for doing CW. Especially after do the CW pincushion- Wasn't really that hard and went quickly. Looks like it wuld be good for using up scraps aside from the base piece which has a lot of folding.
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

"I think the 10-minute quilt block is just like a cathedral window when you pin down the curves and ever so much easier, plus you can do it on the machine. I can't do hand work because of neuropathy in my fingers."

The 10-min block can be done with the center block folded down making is similiar to the cathedral window; but actually the block is nothing like the cathedral window. I've done, and love both!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast