Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: New Addiction: Cathedral Window

Catherdral Windows is one fo my all time favorite quilts patterns. They are so stunningly beautiful.... Someday I hope to say "I made one too".

Born & raised in Upper Micigan, transplanted to central Wisconsin the last 35 yrs.
    Where can I find free instructions to make the CW? I am wanting to make one after seeing what you folks are doing. I will say thank you very much in advance! Please PM me.

Judi
    Just call me Sew Krzy (Well, that's what my license plates say!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j-mae View Post
    Where can I find free instructions to make the CW? I am wanting to make one after seeing what you folks are doing. I will say thank you very much in advance! Please PM me.

Judi
    Former Yooper also, Oregon last 49 yrs. Coming back in May by car will travel through Wis on way to U.P. Love this board tho don't get to read as much as I would like. Am new quilter so only suggestion as to CW pattern is search online. Good Luck! Antylu

I was suprised how simple it really is once you actually get going on it. I carry my cathedral window with me in the car, since I spend a lot of time waiting for kids and at doctors offices! It is a great quilt as you go project!! I am doing mine in muslim, mainly because of the cost factor, and using all different scraps for the inserts. Check You TUbe for great tutorials..It will suprise you how easy it really is to make...just time consuming.

Quote Originally Posted by coldquilter View Post
    I have always wanted to try and cathedral windows but it looks so difficult. Maybe one of these days. I also like to have something to do when I sit down. I don't sit too much but it would be nice to feel like I was still doing something when sitting.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...al-t35742.html

This tutorial is here on the board, if you want to check it out. (Click on the link.) A CW is easy. I know Eddie shows this as a machine stitched quilt, but you do not have to do it that way. He does explain the basics very well.
    Quilt Mom

Going through life one stitch at a time

Blog Entries
    Try some of the faux cathedral windows, they are fun too. There is a video on youtube about making them and if anyone gets into them I have a chart I created somewhere that gives all different sizes of blocks and the fabric cuts needed to make them work.
    Sally Dolin
    Rock Island, IL

I am working on a CW quilt right now..... for my daughter's 25th wedding anniversary. It will be a queen size. I'm using Glen's tutorial sizes..... 8 1/2" background and 2 1/2" inside color squares. It is very relaxing to sit with the DH in the evening and sew on that quilt. It's going to take awhile to get it finished but the CW is such a pretty quilt. I love them. And being a person that loves to piece tops and doesn't love the hand quilting so much.... it is perfect for me.

Blog Entries
    My Mom made each of us kids and herself a Cathedral Window quilt. All cut by hand (could not get her to use a rotary cutter) and sewn by hand.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

I've never had any quilting lessons and Name:  4155_2.JPG
Views: 174
Size:  382.8 KBI don't do handwork; however, I made a cathedral window using instructions for using the sewing machine, posted by Eddie. I didn't have a pattern, just did the design on my own.

http://hyena-in-petticoats.blogspot....-tutorial.html

I have been planning a cathedral window quilt for a couple of months. I think I have finally found my background fabric. I did a sample square using this tutorial and it is easy. Looks great too. I love needle turn applique so will do the edges with that stitch, not sure what it is called (but you can't see it when it is done right). I have a beautiful rainbow colored batik that I will use for all of the centers and because of the cost factor I think I will be using a cotton broadcloth for the backing. I know that it is not 100% cotton and for all of you purists that would be a horrible thing but I do love the feel of it and it is nice and light to stitch by hand. I'm excited and just waiting for the broadcloth to go on sale. My local Fabricland lady has whispered to me that it will be on double discount next weekend I too wanted a color and not muslin but because of the cost factor had to find something I can afford for such a large project.
    "An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." Edwin Land

Blessings! Ruth

Quote Originally Posted by mtngrl View Post
    http://hyena-in-petticoats.blogspot....-tutorial.html

I'm excited and just waiting for the broadcloth to go on sale. My local Fabricland lady has whispered to me that it will be on double discount next weekend I too wanted a color and not muslin but because of the cost factor had to find something I can afford for such a large project.
    Enjoy. It really is fun!

Newby0709, that's a beautiful quilt. I read Eddie's tutorial too and made a pair of kitchen curtains. I wasn't about to tackle a project as large as yours. Congratulations on a wonderful looking quilt.

Tate
    King of the Rocketeers!

Thanks, Tate

Quote Originally Posted by tate_elliott View Post
    Newby0709, that's a beautiful quilt. I read Eddie's tutorial too and made a pair of kitchen curtains. I wasn't about to tackle a project as large as yours. Congratulations on a wonderful looking quilt.

Tate

silk combo with what background

Anyone have suggestions for fabric to combine with silk window?
    starting this new patience exercise....

jeanice in arkansas

'You can't win an arguement'

I too started one (5 yrs ago for me, when I won a trip to the Daytona 500) I started with 8 1/2 " base square fabric. My center colored squares are about 2". The pictures shown so far are very lovely!!! I would have never thought to do a single color center... I LOVE IT!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3