Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Frame Help! >

New Frame Help!

New Frame Help!

Old 07-23-2010, 04:30 AM

Hi Everyone! Just got an Imperial Frame with the supposed to be easy load system with the tubing and tool to put your quilt on it. Well I cant do it by myself at all. The tubing is so hard to push into the grooves. Any suggestions? Should I just put Velco on the rails? Also, has anyone basted the batting and backing together and then put it on the frame? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 07-23-2010, 04:36 AM
Power Poster

I put fabric leaders on both my frames and that makes loading much easier (still a task, but easier) I used a medium weight twill type fabric and put a casing on one side of each one that the tube slides into so once you have your tubes pushed into your frame they stay there and you pin you quilt backing and top to the leaders. If your frame instructions gives the lengths to make the leaders I would add a couple of inches to each one to give you a little more room. Both my frames are Grace and I found the lengths they gave are just a little short and I wish I had made them a little longer. If this doesn't make any sense I can take a picture and maybe that would be helpful. Good Luck. You will love your frame once to get it setup.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:44 AM

Hi!!! Thanks for the quick reply. I have the frame set up and I just couldnt push in the material and tubing no matter how hard I tried. If I make the leaders with the tubing inside, one I put the leaders on the rails, could I just leave them there and pin each quilt piece on? That way I would never have to take that tubing out again.

This is a Grace Frame too. Have you ever sandwiched the quilt and loaded it that way?

Thanks!!!
Old 07-23-2010, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

Yes the leaders stay on the frame and once you have the tubing in it never has to come out again.

I haven't tried loading an already sandwiched quilt yet but I was wondering about that too. As long as everything is very smooth there should be no reason why it wouldn't work. I have only had my frame a few months so I am still figuring things out.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:33 AM

Thanks so much for all your help. This is so overwhelming at first. I am sure that you understand how I feel. I am at that stage where I wonder what the heck was I thinking when I bought this lol!!!
Old 07-23-2010, 05:46 AM

I made the leaders also, so much easier. With my practice quilt I didn't prebaste, I used the rollers, didn't like how it was working (have the Grace Pinnacle). So with the one that's on the frame now, I prebasted the layers, and it works like a dream. Hope that helps.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

I know EXACTLY how you feel, but this too will pass and it will be fun. I only have a mid-arm machine but I certainly can get a quilt done alot faster than I could on my conventional machine without the frame and with much less struggle.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:50 AM

Lori I have a mid arm too. I bought the megaquilter by viking. I wanted to make sure that I was able to do it and really enjoyed it before thinking about investing in a longarm. Are you able to quilt the whole quilt on the machine?
Old 07-23-2010, 05:52 AM

It takes some practice!
yes make the leaders ( you can buy them but they are expensive)
once you pin your top backing and batting to the leaders a few times you get the hang of it!
Keep the tension on your rails consistent and recheck that things are straight and smoothe with each advance.
I have never loaded an already sandwiched quilt, defeats the purpose of having a multi rail system.
But if it works go for it!
Old 07-23-2010, 05:52 AM

Did you prebaste with spray adhesive? Did you then just use the take up roller and backing roller?