Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
new iron >

new iron

new iron

Old 02-19-2016, 09:36 PM

Default new iron

My 3rd rowenta has died, I need to get a new iron. I don't want to spend the money for another rowenta. What kind of iron would you recommend and or you use?
Old 02-19-2016, 09:44 PM

I have a GE from 1978 that is still working just fine. After being dropped a couple of times it squealed when I used steam sad an Oliso that died after 9 months so decided the pricey irons weren't for me. Also don't like the auto shut off on most of the new irons.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:46 PM

I have the Rowenta with the steam generator and love it. Got it from Amazon for $97.00
Old 02-19-2016, 09:58 PM

I like my Black and Decker from Target. It has auto shut off which I don't like but it does have the rewind for the cord which I do like. I plug it into a power strip, so if I don't want to unplug it for some reason, I can make sure it is off with turning off the power strip.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:55 PM

I buy cheap irons with a long cord. The iron seems to jump on the floor, get in the way of starch and gets its self all clogged up so I buy cheapie so to replace. No iron behaves itself.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:31 AM

After "investing" in a good iron and having to put it "down" in a short time, I have now reverted to cheap and no big deal when having to replace. It seems irons are not as "hot" as they used to be. I can iron a piece, remove it and bingo wrinkles are back....(I don't starch or best press......) just sprinkle/ spray/steam, whichever I need....
Old 02-20-2016, 06:13 AM

I have a Continental I paid $10 for years ago when my Black & Decker died at 9PM on Sat. night. Got it at $ General. It heats quickly, does not have an auto shutoff. One of my better purchases.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

I've started buying the CHEAP ones that JoAnn's carries... Smartek, $15.99. I even bought a second one for my little sewing station at my Singer 301 upstairs. It gets real hot, steams like a dream, and hasn't got that annoying auto-shutoff feature! It's also a bit smallish so it handles really well. I'm pleased with these so far.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
I have a Continental I paid $10 for years ago when my Black & Decker died at 9PM on Sat. night. Got it at $ General. It heats quickly, does not have an auto shutoff. One of my better purchases.
I also have a cheap continental from Dollar General I bought it after my grandson filled my steamer fill hole with black paint on the old one. A good light weight iron so far. I have had is for several years.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:04 AM

I agree that irons aren't as hot as they used to be, probably now considered a fire-hazard on the advice of the company lawyers. I loved my old Rowenta that sizzled. And I have a very sleek Panasonic in my laundry room that is pointy enough to iron complicated shirts and pleats. But since developing arthritic thumbs and CT in the wrists, my new love for quilting is a cordless iron. If you set down into it's heating base, it stays hot enough for all my projects so far, and is pointy at both ends. It is a Panasonic and it was the most expensive at about $99.