Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
new iron >

new iron

new iron

Old 02-20-2016, 04:51 PM

I will never buy another expensive iron, after 4 Rowenta's leaked after only a few uses. I bought a Shark at Walmart and it's just fine, gets very hot and puts out lost of steam. I recently used a cheap Panasonic at a hotel and it did a fine job, too.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:13 PM

While it's true consumer grade irons aren't as hot anymore . . .not so for professional grade irons. We spend as much time ironing as we do sewing. Why not invest in an exceptional quality iron that makes pressing virtually effortless?

I love my Reliable I500:
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 02-20-2016, 08:14 PM

Well gee, the photo is t upside down on my iPad. No idea why it is here. Sorry
Old 02-20-2016, 08:53 PM

I'm quite happy with a Black & Decker Digital Advantage DH got for me a couple years ago. I'd guess he paid in the $40 range. Like it way better than I ever did the one Rowenta I owned. It heats up very quickly and I love the large water reservoir as I press with steam - takes tap water also. It does have auto off but recovers very quickly with the touch of a button. Beeps to let me know up to temp or shutting down. I would say it is a mid-weight and cord length is good.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:32 AM

I am taking a class at my LQS and was very impressed by their Shark. It was sturdy, had plenty of steam holes and a pointy top to flip seams easily... I have no idea how much they cost but they've certainly gotta be cheaper than the Rowenta I purchased last year. I would definitely consider purchasing one for my next iron.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:36 AM

I got an old fashioned iron from Amazon. I think it cost about $22. No steam which I like. I have dropped it a couple of times and still ticking. If I want steam I use a spray bottle.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:35 AM

I know they have problems....but love the rowentas! I saw a whole bunch of irons at Ollies earlier this week. I checked the watts, quite a few were 1700. Lots of black and deckers. Low prices. 1 rowenta ar 39.00. I was looking for a new one for our RV. Bought it at Joann's on sale. Small size rowenta travel iron, my husband is happy because he does not have to keep fixing the cord on the old one! The cordless sounds nice, will have to look at those.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:58 AM

Me too.....I buy inexpensive iron which I find last longer than the pricey ones....I too drop then.....I buy an iron with lots of watts....and the surface finish is important to me....an instructor once told me some iron-away toppers (in the hoop embroidery) cannot be removed with a coated surface iron.....good luck
Old 02-21-2016, 06:43 AM

I recently purchased the Sunbeam Steam Master Professional from Walmart. It is the best quality iron at Walmart and very affordable. It has a large surface area and steams well. I am very happy with it. Like you, I did not want to put the $ out for the Rowenta.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:50 AM

I've had Rowenta and it leaked, bought an expensive steam iron, a Reliable, and it lasted three years. Finally went back to Black and Decker. The only thing I wish is that I could override the auto shut off...................grrr. It also doesn't have an OFF, so I have it plugged into a surge protector so always unplug and turn off the SP. A lot of my friends prefer an iron with no steam vents as some catch the corners of fabric, but I like steam.

Last edited by EmiliasNana; 02-21-2016 at 06:52 AM.