Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
new iron >

new iron

new iron

Old 02-21-2016, 07:11 AM

Sunbeam Steam Master has served me well. Not heavy. Retractable cord that's 8' long. Heats up fast. Well balanced so it doesn't tip over easily like some. Auto shut off. Got mine from Amazon.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:14 AM

Default Iron

Originally Posted by TJ Legge View Post
I agree that irons aren't as hot as they used to be, probably now considered a fire-hazard on the advice of the company lawyers. I loved my old Rowenta that sizzled. And I have a very sleek Panasonic in my laundry room that is pointy enough to iron complicated shirts and pleats. But since developing arthritic thumbs and CT in the wrists, my new love for quilting is a cordless iron. If you set down into it's heating base, it stays hot enough for all my projects so far, and is pointy at both ends. It is a Panasonic and it was the most expensive at about $99.
I too have that cordless. Great for big quilts!
Old 02-21-2016, 07:16 AM

My friend has this iron and absolutely loves it. She paid $100 for it years ago. Just bought mine last week and am waiting for it to get here.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Panasonic-...White/25908468
Old 02-21-2016, 07:59 AM

I also have a Panasonic cordless iron. I bought it about a year or so ago, and if something happens to it I will have to buy another one. I absolutely love it. You can't believe how "free" you are without a cord. It is awesome!
Old 02-21-2016, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by juliea9967 View Post
I also have a Panasonic cordless iron. I bought it about a year or so ago, and if something happens to it I will have to buy another one. I absolutely love it. You can't believe how "free" you are without a cord. It is awesome!
I too have the Panasonic cordless. Absolutely love it. My others with cords were constantly getting in my way. Got it from Massdrop (no affiation) regular price $99 and got it for $75. Highly recommend.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

My Sunbeam iron finally decided to go to the iron heaven in the sky. I grew up using Sunbeam appliances, my father, who was an electrician, would not buy anything but Sunbeam. My DH started looking for irons on Amazon and we decided on A Sunbeam Green Sense Steam Master Professional for around $50. Because I do so much sewing and quilting he said I deserved good tools. Sometimes he actually acknowledges that without sewing and quilting I am a very unhappy camper. Well, it arrived a couple days ago and last night I finally got my ducks in a row to iron the backlog of fabric that had been washed, but needed to be ironed. I was very happy with my new iron, as the sole plate is at least 2 inches longer than my old iron and it made shot work of my fabric pile. Then I grabbed my batch of fabrics destined to be zippered pouches, so I ironed all those fabrics, then added the fusible fleece and again, the iron made short work of my pile. So, in case you haven't noticed, I am very, very pleased with my new iron and I hope it lasts a log time like my previous one. This has been lengthy, I have trouble condensing my thoughts at times, but I hope it will give you an unsolicited review of a Sunbeam iron.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:31 AM

I replaced my Rowenta with a Shark purchased from Wal Mart that I have been very happy with. I was never was too crazy about the Rowenta, was extremely relieved when it bit the dust.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:06 AM

I agree with most of the others - I have a fairly inexpensive iron that I love. I have used the much more costly ones and always gone back to the cheaper ones!
Old 02-21-2016, 12:27 PM

I got the Panasonic with the titanium sole plate (it has a cord) -- it works great and was not that expensive. It replaced a Rowenta that literally started to smoke after 10 years (hmmm -- that one came from Costco, maybe I should have taken it back -- oh well ).
Old 02-21-2016, 01:35 PM

I've only had cheapos too, but they lasts a long time, and I drop them on the floor fairly often, doesn't seem to bother them. I got a Hamilton Beach last year when my B & D pooped out, payed 25 dollars for it at Big Lots, loving it, I call it my cadillac iron!