Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
new long arm and lots of questions >

new long arm and lots of questions

new long arm and lots of questions

Old 09-04-2017, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
Find a good thread, like Superior's Omni, and stick with it.

Have fun with it!
I'm sorry but I strongly disagree with sticking with only one thread. That is like saying piece with only one brand and style of fabric! Try many different threads. Experiment with different weights and fibers. They all bring a different feel to the texture and appearance of your quilting and give you a wealth of experience in how to adjust your machine's tension to "play nicely" with different threads. The confidence you will gain from this far outweighs the initial frustration of having to tweak you machine to work with the thread. Of course if you find a particular brand and weight of thread that you love the way it quilts out and the way your machine runs with it you can use that more than others but don't use to the exclusivity of all the wonderful and pretty threads out there. You may also find threads you can't stand. I tend to avoid some 100% cotton threads due to all the lint they produce. They will throw a lint ball into my bobbin case and mess up my tension mid bobbin so I tend to avoid the brands of 100% cotton threads that, in my experience, are very linty but if the color is perfect for the quilt I am working on I will use it. Again, because I have experimented extensively, I know the shortfalls of using it and check for those problems often.

I am a huge fan of pre-wound bobbins and I use magnaglide prewounds almost exclusively. But that is me and some people prefer to run the same thread in the bobbin as they have on the top.

I do strongly agree with have fun with it. Don't sweat the small stuff. A mistake that glares at you like a beacon from the few inches away you view it while working on the quilt may not be noticeable at all once the quilt is off the frame.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:58 AM

You Tube videos are wonderful. You can get so many great ideas from some amazing quilters.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:28 PM

Did your new longarm not come with any classes??
Old 09-05-2017, 04:49 AM

Thank you all for your wonderful ideas. I have never long armed except in the stores. I live out in the boonies so It is very hard to get to classes. I can and they are free for the machine but I can't get to them. I will use all of your suggestions. I am in the process of moving in so haven't had time to play with it. My dealer was a wonderful help and gave me her personal phone number to call with questions. I just ordered anti-static mats since I found this house creates lots of static when I walk through it. I will keep checking back to see if there is any more ideas because you are all so helpful!!!!
Thank you
Lynda
Old 09-05-2017, 04:52 AM

I will look at the video but my rollers are metal with the cloth velcroed to it and I can't see how to staple at this moment. Hopefully the video will show that.

Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
I watched a short free class on Craftsy by a longarmer when I first got my short arm (Juki 2010Q on a Gracie frame).

I'm not sure if this applies to your situation but I'll pass it on because it really made a huge difference to me!

The best piece of information I got from the class was to 'staple' the quilt to the leader. This changed my life. Using pins was a nightmare, I kept injuring myself and it just didn't stay. I hated loading the quilt which took forever! Stapling it was an epiphany! Now I can load a quilt in probably 10-15 minutes with 5 minutes cleaning my short arm.

I'm not sure if this is the same gal (since I watched the video awhile ago), but here's a youtube one that I think is her: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF3Rr4KhTtg

And I bought this kind of stapler on Amazon: (Don't try and use your desk stapler it will drive you batty, you need one that is meant to be held vertically with the swivel that allows you to change how it bends the prongs. You want the 'pin' setting which is outwards instead of inwards for paper.)
https://smile.amazon.com/Rapid-Class...+stapler+90119

Good luck!
Old 09-05-2017, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by lwbuchholz View Post
I will look at the video but my rollers are metal with the cloth velcroed to it and I can't see how to staple at this moment. Hopefully the video will show that.
You would staple the quilt top to the side of the cloth that isn't attached to the rollers with velcro.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:10 AM

Watched the video and see how it is done. I like the idea. I will practice and see. My anti static mats are coming in this week so I won't be so afraid of frying my electronics.
I love that this board and all the people on it are so helpful. Thank you!!!
Lynda