Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New machine purchase? >

New machine purchase?

New machine purchase?

Old 08-23-2012, 04:53 PM

i bought my longarm with no intention of quilting for others. i mainly quilt my own with the exception of a few customers and charity quilts. i would like to quilt more for others but really have that in mind for retirement for extra income. if i gain a customer base, great, if not, i do plenty of my own so for me its cheaper to own. it is intimidating and if you are not ready or make time for the challenge, send your quilts to a longarmer. u need at least a 12 ft table so space is important. good luck and try before you buy so you have no regrets.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:22 PM

I' m saving for my HQ SWEETSIXTEEN
Old 08-23-2012, 10:58 PM

The HQ Sweet 16 would be perfect if it also had feed dogs so that you could also use a walking foot for straight line quilting.
I'll just keep using my Viking Sapphire 875 for machine quilting.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
How much would it cost you to send your stack of quilt tops out to a long arm quilter to be quilted?
Originally Posted by Jerudy View Post
Don't want to send them out, the reason I made the quilt tops and wall hangings is so that I can quilt them myself. I just put off the quilting, with the mind set that someday I will get a long arm. Just trying to justify $5k for a hobby.
Sorry, I should have been more clear in my original post. My point was if you add up all the $$$ that you would spend to send out the tops you have stacked up, that should be a good down payment on a LA.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jerudy View Post
Help me justify the purchase of a HQ Sweet Sixteen, its alot of money and all my quilting is for hobby, I have tons of unfinished projects, mostly quilt tops that I'm saving in anticipation of getting a sweet 16.

For all who have one, let me know if its worth it!
I have been looking at the HQ Sweet Sixteen too. I would love to have a long arm, but just don't have the room for one. The Sweet Sixteen is definitely on my wish list. Let us know if you get one and how you like it.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:47 PM

I have had a Tin Lizzie for about about 8 yrs. If the Sweet Sixteen had been around I would have gone that route. Sometime think I'll sell the Tin Lizzie and get the Sweet Sixteen.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:44 AM

I purchased a HQ 16 last Spring and I love it. It is very easy to use and I have had such fun quilting tops that were sitting in a pile to go to the LA quilter. I have quilted 9 of the 12 tops that I had waiting to be quilted. The dollars you save not having to send quilts out to a longarm quilter is a plus for you. There are tons of videos online that have been a huge help to me. I chose the HQ 16 over the sit down Sweet 16 because I do no like to sandwich the 3 quilt pieces - the HQ 16 eliminates that step - using the Sweet 16 you still need to prepare the quilt sandwich. Good luck and I think you have made a wise choice.