Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New rules for a sloppy quilter >

New rules for a sloppy quilter

New rules for a sloppy quilter

Old 04-13-2011, 02:58 AM

I have to stay organized.....I have limited quilting time and so I keep a small walmart container on the right side of my sewing machine that keeps all my feet I reg. use, seam ripper, walking foot, the purple thang, and a few other items. I also have sissors on cutting table and ironing board. I have to clean up when I'm done because its my husband's office that I stole and its one of the first rooms you see when you come in the front door plus you know with the 2 little guys....pins....
Old 04-13-2011, 03:33 AM

Been there til I remembered telling the kiddo If you put your crayons away you'll always know where they are -necessity the mother of invention -we cut an oatmeal box into 2 halfs kept the lid -covered with fabric -ta-da-now I have 2 cute containers that sit in the corner of the table out of the way but handy as heck I used the saw from the empty tin foil which also came in handy to form cut foam rubber
Old 04-13-2011, 03:34 AM
ns

I have things here and their also. I know if I keep things together my time is spent more wisely. I really do hate searching for things. I am more organized this year. Took me weeks to get their.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by incoming2me
Sometimes I get a bit cluttered as I'm working.
I have to FORCE myself to remember to put things back.

However, I did come up with a way to keep things handy/tidy and easy to put "away" near me.
I attached one of those tiny 3M Command adhesive hooks on the front of my machine to hang my little snips. I keep one of those wooden quilting ruler holders next to my machine to hold the rulers I'm currently using. On the peg board on the wall behind my sewing table I have a hook to hold my rotary cutter near my machine.

When I am done for the day - I replace everything I've been using to their storage location on the peg board wall - far far away from the reaches of our 3 year old daughter.
I love the idea of hanging the sicissors on the machine - very clever!!! I too have the storage thingy for my rulers. It will help I think...I keep my rotary cutters in a small cabinet (also away from grandkids little fingers. I havent tried anything out yet since I am in the finishing stages of organizing my room - I am almost done!!! Cant wait to get started on actually quilting. :lol:
Old 04-13-2011, 03:55 AM

I try to keep up wtih the mess but it keeps getting the upper hand. I know where everything is, YOU just wouldn't know where to find things. Hey, it's a security measure..yeah that's it. A security measure.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:11 AM

Well, the problem I have is that my sewing studio is in the basement, no TV, etc. and when my dog was out of commission and needed constant supervision I brought a machine upstairs. You have no idea how many trips I made going back downstairs for something I needed. Now I have my new long arm in a room of its own and finding I need scissors, a ruler, pins, etc. so back to the basement. I have stuff scattered all over the house now, which drives me crazy. I can't stand the disorganization but hate to buy multiples of some things.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by jeanneb52
I try to keep up wtih the mess but it keeps getting the upper hand. I know where everything is, YOU just wouldn't know where to find things. Hey, it's a security measure..yeah that's it. A security measure.
It works, too. I haven't had to hunt my scissors down in the kids' rooms yet! If I can't find stuff--they sure as heck can't--LOL!
Old 04-13-2011, 04:45 AM

I have designated areas on the sewing table where I keep different tools. For instance: I have a shallow wicker basket which is divided into 4 sections (an old fruit basket). I have some of the tools upright in fruit jars so I can easily see what I need. It's to the side of my sewing area and I usually pull out what I need for that sewing and keep it close at hand either in a frisbee or on a foam mat...well, relatively close! so when I misplace a tool it's not too far away...most of the time.
I have about 4 different pincushions. They're in another shallow basket. I keep a small plastic dish to put ripped threads in...don't always do this, but when I do it's helpful.
If I'm rotary cutting I keep the cutter on a small mat or the frisbee, where the other tools I'm using are kept.
Being hard-wired from birth to be neat is a family gene I've inherited. Today they call it obsessive compulsive disorder. :lol:
The multi drawer plastic units are used for many other "tools". Each drawer unit is specified for certain areas of quilting/sewing.
This all helps me to keep in order...my brain needs it that way. Please, I'm not bragging about it. Sometimes being too neat has its drawbacks!
Old 04-13-2011, 04:45 AM

ROFL
Originally Posted by lscho4jm
Organized quilter? That sounds like science fiction to me. :lol:
Old 04-13-2011, 04:46 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by Dina
Hmmmm, sounds like advice I can use. Common sense, you'd think, but maybe I can do this and find my seam ripper from now on!
NO seam rippers just walk away... I just know it...

I have baskets that I toss my notions in.. I have one on the cutting table, and one next to my sewing machine- so when I'm done using whatever I'm using ill toss it in there- that way I only have to search in either one to find what i'm looking for.. HOWEVER I have another basket so when I'm feeling the need to 'be organized' that's the one they are ALL suppose to be in.. but like many of you, organization is not always first on the list..