Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • New Sashing ideas? >
  • New Sashing ideas?

• New Sashing ideas?

Old 09-14-2016, 06:20 AM

Default New Sashing ideas?

I love using differnt sashing ideas but I seem to have gotten stuck for new ideas. My favorite is the "garden maze" sashing because it brings the whole quilt together, and I also enjoy using attic Windows as sashing between blocks. I've used both of these a bit lately and want something else. Of course I've done the classic corner square sashing too. Any suggestions?
    Old 09-14-2016, 07:24 AM

If you like the scrappy look you could do some strip pieced ones. Have a look at Bonnie Hunter's blog she loves doing them.
    Old 09-14-2016, 08:14 AM
    Power Poster

If you do sashing with cornerstones, you can add triangles on the end of the sashing and it forms stars.
    Old 09-14-2016, 07:28 PM

I have used dimensional triangles in my sashing making friendship stars using the corner stones. I have also used 3-piece striped sashing where the center stripe is one of the fabrics in the quilt. I got real ambitious on one quilt and the quilt blocks went from dark to light and I matched the outside strips to the block they were adjacent to with a consistent color in the center and the corner stones were little 9-patches whose 3 edge blocks were opposite colors. The stripes were 1 1/2" wide cut and finished at 3".
    Old 09-15-2016, 08:27 AM

Default star sashing using cut off triangles

these sashing lengths were cut at 1.5" wide as were the corner stones. At the ends of the sashings I sewed on the triangle before adding the corner stones. These triangles were all left over from other projects doing the sew and flip method and probably all varied in size a little bit. Doesn't matter this way.

They won't fray out beyond what you see here because they were all cut on the bias originally.
    This quilt was born out of some pink and brown scraps a shop owner gave me, combined with 1/5" squares from my own stash. I love it. It is about 85"X45" (no pattern, it just grew on the working wall, but would be simple to copy)

I put a bit of glue stick on the loose side of the triangles so my long arm quilter didn't have to deal with them flipping up on her. Glue washes out beautifully.
    Attached Thumbnails pink-scrappy-whole.jpg   piink-scrappy.jpg   corner-stone-stars-3.jpg   corner-stone-stars-2.jpg  
    Old 09-15-2016, 07:04 PM
    Power Poster

Another interesting layout...I like the haphazard triangles....certainly adds a new dimension to your quilt...I'm always looking forward to using those lo triangles in New ways other than HST'S....Thanks for sharing.