Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New sewing machine - Juki? >

New sewing machine - Juki?

New sewing machine - Juki?

Old 10-21-2014, 12:37 AM

Default New sewing machine - Juki?

I have a love/hate relationship with my Bernina 550QE so I've decided to bite the bullet and buy a new sewing machine. I have been reading wonderful things about the Juki domestic machines and am considering the Juki HZL F600. Here in the UK this machine costs £1399.00 (approx. $2350.00), another big investment so I've got to get it right this time. I think it is the box feed that is swaying me to this machine.

My question is, does the box feed really make a difference with feeding fabric? Do the two pieces of fabric feed through evenly? Could anyone kindly post pictures of piecing you have done using a Juki F600?

I know the best thing is for me to go to a dealer and try one out but my local dealer is some distance away and I have a traveling phobia which means that the journey would be too much for me at the current time.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:51 AM

I have the Juki F600 and am also in the UK. It's a lovely machine, but the price tag is a little scary!

I went from a cheapy Singer Talent from Argos, to the Juki, and there was a big difference between the two, but there is also a massive price difference! I had made a bargello quilt top on the Singer, but I couldn't use the machine to quilt it, because I couldn't get it under the presser foot (because of all the seams, it was very thick!) and the Juki handled it with no problems whatsoever!

I don't really know how much the box feed helps, but it very rarely tries to eat the edges of my fabric (the Singer used to try and eat every piece of fabric!) and I haven't noticed any uneven feeding of fabric. I'll see if I can find a picture of piecing done on the Juki for you!

I managed to get £100 off the price of my machine, so make sure you barter a bit if you are able to! If I lived closer, I'd bring my machine over for you to have a try on!
Old 10-21-2014, 02:22 AM

Hi Sisty, Thank you for your reply about the F600. Thank you also for the advice to barter! Can I ask where you bought your machine? I'm thinking of buying from Frank Nutt in Birmingham but only because I've used the store before and been very happy with the customer service.
p.s. I've just been to your website and love your Dr Who tardis quilt.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:12 AM

I bought mine from a shop called Franklins in Colchester, it's a family run business and they are very friendly. I think they have a few shops but all in the Essex/Suffolk area. Might be worth giving them a ring or an email to see if they can do a better price for you :-)
Thanks! The tardis is definitely one of my best quilts! And it's very well loved by its owner, which is all you can hope for when making someone a quilt!
Old 10-21-2014, 07:04 AM

I pieced this top on the Juki F600 and also did the little table topper...and did the machine quilting of the table topper on it.

Attached Thumbnails img_8476.jpg   img_8478.jpg   img_8902.jpg   img_8906.jpg  
Old 10-22-2014, 06:05 AM

Hi Rose, Thank you for posting these pictures of your beautiful piecing and quilting done with your Juki F600.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:48 PM

just don't get the k85, not worth the price
Old 10-24-2014, 06:18 PM

What size throat on this machine? and can you use it with frames? I work with a Juki industrial machine all day at work sewing trade show displays and I love them. I have looked at getting a grace frame and using a Juki with it, but I am not sure there is room for a king size quilt in there. The Juki I have considered is the 2010q (I think). It has been a while since I looked.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Rose S. View Post
I pieced this top on the Juki F600 and also did the little table topper...and did the machine quilting of the table topper on it.

great looking projects
Old 10-25-2014, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by hsquiltingmom View Post
What size throat on this machine? and can you use it with frames? I work with a Juki industrial machine all day at work sewing trade show displays and I love them. I have looked at getting a grace frame and using a Juki with it, but I am not sure there is room for a king size quilt in there. The Juki I have considered is the 2010q (I think). It has been a while since I looked.
The F600 has an 8.5" harp. It is very different from the 2010q. The F600 is a computerized machine with hundreds of stitches and 3 alphabets. I love the independent motor for the bobbin winder. No need to choose between sewing or winding a bobbin. I have quilted several oversized queen quilts on mine, both FMQ and walking foot quilting. The 2010q had a 9" harp and is a mechanical straight stitch only machine. You can quilt a king size on a frame with either machine, but your space is limited. It works best to quilt half, then turn it around and quilt the other half. I found I prefer to just work at my desk the old fashioned way rather than be limited by the frame.