Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New skills for 2017 >

New skills for 2017

New skills for 2017

Old 12-27-2016, 09:18 AM

My first goal for January is to finish up the wall hangings I started for Christmas presents. 2nd is to get a quilt made for my new grandson who will be here shortly, 3rd is to finish a challenge quilt I have been working on for 2 years and then I want to expand on doing some fusing and art quilts, a long with twin size quilts for my granddaughters. I have lots of big ideas but just always run out of time! Sometime in the next month I have to stop and reorganize the quilting studio! Happy New Year to each and everyone of you!
Old 12-27-2016, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

I want to learn to use some of the specialty rulers I have set aside to make my block making easier and more intricate. I have bought so many that I haven't used yet. I want to get just a little more into the advanced stage. We will see, I get intimidated and ignore them. LOL! Perhaps in the long days of winter I will use them all. (Day dreaming here)

Hubby bought me tech toys this year and so I also have to learn to use a Cannon Rebel camera, an IPad and a Android phone. I guess I will learn it all, I am just wondering how long it will take. I will miss that flip phone.

Oh oh ... and the westalee quilting rulers!

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 12-27-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:53 AM

I'd like to "like" paper piecing. I see so many patterns I would do, if only I could PP, but I'm not good at it. I hope to get more practice in this year.
I'd also like to move out of my comfort zone with FMQ. There are certain motifs I can do no problem, but I need to learn (and actually use on a quilt) new ones.
And, I want to try a quilt as you go project, just because I've never done one.

Watson
Old 12-27-2016, 10:26 AM

I'd like to improve my hand appliqué skills and maybe try hand piecing. I've discovered this year that I really enjoy handwork. It's a wonderful form of meditation.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:14 PM

I want to improve my bindings for starters. I also want to be courageous enough to get out of stitching in the ditch. All this takes practice and I have only done 2 projects so far. Loving every minute I get to cut, press, sew. I have found stitching the back of the binding on by hand so relaxing. I would like to hand quilt a small project. Even if it is just simple 5 inch squares sewn together and a heart or something easy in each one.

I am looking forward to the new journey and I can not wait to see how much my skills improve or not by the end of 2017.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by letawellman View Post
Rob, you really should get Beth Nemesh's book, "The Devil's in the Details". She does some really spectacular finishes that are way beyond "every day". It made my eyes goggle out of my head. I haven't done any of her stuff yet... it's still a little intimidating to me.

Thanks for the info Leta,
I'll check it out.
Rob
Old 12-27-2016, 01:45 PM

I want to learn to paper piece this year. The women in the local quilting group have been amazingly helpful, teaching me the basics, from what kind of thread and needles to use, to how to do the actual stitching (for hand piecing, quilting, and binding). Next time I'm able to go, I'll have to ask who the paper piecer is, and get pointers from her.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:46 PM

My first skill of all is to PUT AWAY everything I used for the last project, to their rightful place so I don't have to search through piles to find something when I start a new project. Keeping the sewing room in order seems to have been a problem with the many projects I worked on this past year. No time for new skills until I deplete the many UFO's. Good Luck to the rest of you.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Thanks for the info Leta,
I'll check it out.
Rob
Rob, my apologies, both to you and to Ms. Nemesh - I accidentally left off part of her name - it's BETHANNE Nemesh, not Beth.
Anyway, here's the link to her books page. http://www.whitearborquilting.com/store/index.html
I have the "Nemeshing" book as well as "The Devil Is In the Details". Both of them are awesome... but as I said, the "Devil..." is a little intimidating to me.

Originally Posted by sharin'Sharon View Post
My first skill of all is to PUT AWAY everything I used for the last project, to their rightful place so I don't have to search through piles to find something when I start a new project. Keeping the sewing room in order seems to have been a problem with the many projects I worked on this past year. No time for new skills until I deplete the many UFO's. Good Luck to the rest of you.
Sharon, if you haven't joined the UFO Challenge group, I highly recommend that you do so. It "lives" under the "Quilting Board Challenges and Contests" section. Obviously, the 2016 UFO Challenge will be wrapping up in a few days, but there will be a new thread for the 2017 UFO Challenge. We've done an OUTSTANDING job there this year!
Old 12-27-2016, 04:32 PM

I have a lot to learn as a beginner. I entered as an utter novice, having only used a machine a couple of times as a youth. I've learned a lot and felt my confidence growing by leaps and bounds. I stepped beyond home decor and moved the 'some day' projects to the fore. That's made a big difference and I'm enjoying the process much more as a result.

I've christened 2017 as a life of artistry. Not merely in sewing but in all the areas where creativity is front and center. I've never considered myself an artist in spite of my obvious attraction to the subject. Living art and immersing myself in new techniques, fellowship, and continued growth is my goal.