Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New to South Bend, Indiana >

New to South Bend, Indiana

New to South Bend, Indiana

Old 06-03-2019, 12:25 PM

Lightbulb New to South Bend, Indiana

We just recently moved our son and his family to South Bend, Indiana and my husband and I are seriously considering moving there as well. I'm active with a quilt guild where I now live and would like to know if there is one in the area!
Old 06-03-2019, 02:06 PM

I am pretty far south in the state so I don't know first hand - but I have heard a lot of good things about Mishawaka, IN which is really close to South Bend. Maybe try googling quilting South Bend??

https://riverbendquiltguild.wordpress.com/

https://www.yellowpages.com/mishawaka-in/quilt-shops
Old 06-04-2019, 03:32 AM

Don't know about quilt guilds as I also live south of South Bend, but there is a PFAFF dealer and quilt shop, Stitch in Time, 2305 Miami St.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:46 AM

Hi Sewlilly! I am another who lives close to SB but not close enough to have looked into a guild there. I am north about 45 minutes. My suggestion would be to call the quilt store that Sandy recommended -- they are super nice there and will give you good advice. I would assume there would be a good guild in South Bend or in the neighboring communities of Elkart and Goshen. SB is about 45 minutes away from Shipshewana (Amish country) which has many a good quilt store. Shipshewana has a huge quilt show coming up the third weekend of June.

I just googled and there is a quilt guild named the River Bend Quilt Guild - I clicked a link on their website to their facebook page and they look very involved with the community. Their meetings are the second Thursday of the month and they welcome visitors.

I hope your son and family are enjoying the move. I would recommend they take advantage of all the fun which Notre Dame has to offer. Not just the sports, but the free concerts, plays and speakers. Also, on football weekends the fun starts the day before with tons of activities from speakers to going on the field to glee club concerts and, in my humble opinion, the best experience - watching the full half time show of the Marching Band! ( all activities can be found by googling Game Day Activities Notre Dame) Any questions about Notre Dame just PM me! Also, lots of pretty beach towns less than an hour away! and some great museums in Chicago just a train ride away.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:38 AM

I am absolutely sure that there are many quilts in this area. I live just north about an hour. You are moving into a community that has a strong and long lived quilting heritage. When you get settled, yes, pose your question to sewing shops but also libraries and community centers and too. If you are brave, ask anyone shopping at a quilt shop of which there are sooooo many in the South Bend area.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:02 PM

I haven't had a lot of luck finding them in south bend. Where are these soooooo many quilt shops at? I used to shop at Erica's but it closed. Maybe you're talking about the amish community? Because that's not south bend.

I admit I try to avoid going to south bend as much as I can. Our local news is out of there and mishawaka and elkhart. 'nuff said. lol
Old 06-06-2019, 03:44 PM

River Bend Quilt Guild meets on the Northside of South Bend. There is a guild in Mishawaka, but I don't know the name. Ask at the Mishawaka Library, because that is where they have a show every year. I live in Plymouth 25 miles South and we have Friendship Quilters that meet at the Senior Center.