Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Studio feedback >

New Studio feedback

New Studio feedback

Old 06-12-2013, 10:15 AM

It looks wonderful and carefully thought out. Be sure to allow as much space as possible for fabric and thread storage. Those items always "expand" over time somehow. I put open shelving all down one wall of a 25 foot room and have filled it up entirely over the years. Can't wait to see your pictures of the finished room. And, by the way, I think your planning will pay off. Sooo much easier than trying to organize after the fact.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:24 AM

Great layout. I have a suggestion! Adopt me! lol
Old 06-12-2013, 10:27 AM

Have you considered shelves above the counter area? Where are you keeping your thread?
My work station is similar to your plan but a bit smaller. I have 4 inch wheels on plywood with kitchen cabinets back to back with space between the backs for rolls of batting, really wide fabric on rolls, vinyl on rolls, and whatever else is long. Then there is plywood on top with a very large cutting mat. At one end, I have a smallish pressing station...about 20 x 24. I have my old fold up ironing board and a separate large ironing surface which fits on top. When not needed, these can be put in a closet. This has worked out well for me. My thread is on thread holders attached behind my machines. I have a lot of thread and it is readily available to see to match colors. The thread is divided according to type...cotton, rayon, poly for sewing and embroidery machine. Also a small area for decorative threads. Then there are shelves above with fabric in bins of various sizes which are marked as to what the project is. The fabric for the project is in a bin so I don't forget and use it for something else. Also have a place where I can note what I need to buy when I go out to shop next. My area is very small but I have 3 sewing or emb. machines and a serger, a computer and printer on my counter space. I have lights under the shelves above my machines and ceiling lights as well as a couple movable lights. There is only one small window and it is blocked by a window a/c.
I have a 5 x 8 design wall and a 15 x 9 removable design wall. I was lucky enough to see a movable pegboard in a store going out of business. For under $10, it is a wonder. It too, is on wheels and is about 5 feet tall with the pegboard in an x shape so different segments are devoted to different type of needs such as cutters (rotary, scissors, pinking scissors, etc) on one and the other 3 are devoted to 3 other "categories" of stuff. I have a wall mounted pegboard to the right of my Bernina (quilting mainly) where I have pliers, screwdrivers and other misc. tools for working on my machine. I also keep patterns that are in current use or my graft drawing of what I want so I can easily refer to it right there next to my Bernina.
My space is really small but there is a plan for expansion (someday). Envision a right triangle with the hypotenuse on the right side measuring 16 feet at the base and then chop off the tip and make that top flat and 6 feet wide. That is my space (or lack of space) but I manage to get all this stuff into it and I can still walk from one end to the other. I believe that my work station (cutting, pressing ) is 5x5 so you have lots more space and I can only utilize 3 sides of mine most of the time.
With my thread mounted on the wall behind my machines, it makes life so easy when I trly to match thread colors.
You have a wonderful space...enjoy it, as I do my mini version.
Donna
Old 06-12-2013, 10:33 AM

Very nice. You live about 1-2 hrs from me so I will come over and help you use it when done.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:36 AM

I think I would have the pocket doors face each other. Making the opening very wide. If a third one could be added I would think about that too. Good luck and have fun.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:56 AM

Wow I love how you have thought of all the important things like closet/storage, the chairs, room for the long arm, etc. Wow!
Old 06-12-2013, 01:23 PM

I want to come and play at your house!
Old 06-13-2013, 04:09 AM

Your studio plans are wonderful! Love the idea of a large work station where you can spread out a large project or any number of smaller projects at the same time. You mentioned using a movable ironing board to use on top of the work station. Just wondering...have you taken ergonomics into consideration? How tall is the work station and will it work with the height you need for ironing, for example? I do have a neat studio 15 by 24 feet. Since I am rather short, I use layers of interlocking floor mats where I need to stand for midarm quilting, ironing and using the work station. Love it! Enjoy your studio and I hope you will share pictures with us when your studio is finished.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:21 AM

Looks great but you may not know for sure until you have worked in it and then you might find places to move things that make it more convenient. However I sure wish it could be mine!
Old 06-13-2013, 04:50 AM

Looks good to me. Congratulations!