Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
new/stupid question (: >

new/stupid question (:

new/stupid question (:

Old 06-03-2011, 10:49 AM

Many years ago I taught a class entitled "Anyone Can Quilt - Even if You Do Not Sew". It was a lot of fun to work with women who thought they could never accomplish such a sewing feat. We each ended up creating a simple sampler quilt. All very pretty. So, No it is not hard to learn the basics.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:53 AM

Why do all new-B's think they have a stupid question? YOU CAN DO IT WATERBOY!!!!!
Old 06-03-2011, 11:00 AM

You did not ask a stupid question....when starting something new you want to know the degree of difficulty.

Quilting can be very simple or complex. Just depends on what you want to do. Give it a try and don't judge your work to harshly...everyone has to take that first step and after that it will get easier as time go on.

If you have questions about anything in the quilting world you don't understand, just ask the QB members and you will get bunches of tips and ideas to help.
Good luck!
Old 06-03-2011, 11:09 AM

I was not a sewer before I started quilting. In fact many years ago when I was in home ec I was told to take typing because I couldn't sew. I took a beginner class on log cabin and used Eleano Burns book on log cabin. I have made many beautiful quilts over the last couple of years. I either stitch in the ditch to quilt it or take it to a long arm quilter As many people said don't pick to hard of a pattern
Old 06-03-2011, 11:09 AM

The wonderful thing about quilting is that there is something for everyone... From engineering perfection with geometric forms to absolutely free form with nothing matching. In my opinion, what is important is the desire to work with fabrics/color and if so, you can find your niche somewhere. Even before I started quilting, I would wander thru the fabric stores touching the fabrics. I think even if I didn't quilt, I would enjoy having the fabrics around. If you find your interest in in the engineering perfection, you might have a steeper learning curve. LOL! Or maybe not.

The main thing is to try it. Try several things. You will soon find if this "speaks" to you.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:16 AM

I heartily agree: THIS IS A STUPID QUESTION
Old 06-03-2011, 12:16 PM

The thing about quilting is you can start with a small quilt.
If you don't like it you didn't spend a lot of money.
But I think you will love it.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:38 PM

Quilting is a series of steps. Each can be done a lot of different ways so you need to choose the easiest ways to try first. None of these steps will be hard, just take some time. When I started quilting, I didn't know how to use my sewing machine or anything about quilting and I taught myself from magazines and books. If you can take a beginner class, you'll learn all this stuff faster and with lots less mistakes than I made----but hey, that's called learning! If you want, I'll send you a couple of good beginner books that I don't need any more. Just Private Message me with your address. Here's how to do that: on the left side of this message, click on my name. It will give you a little info about me, and will give you a choice to PM (private message) me. Click on that, and it works like email from there. ~Dotty
Old 06-03-2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Nike
before i set myself up for failure.... is quilting very hard? just wondering
It can be as hard as you make it. If it seems like it's a chore like "doing the dishes by hand" then I wouldn't recommend it. If you start with an "advanced" project before you learn the basics, yes, it's hard.

If you start with the basics (and this forum is a must in my opinion for the basics) then, no, it isn't hard. Starting small will also tell you if you like to quilt or not. Some people don't. I can't imagine life without a couple (or four) quilts in the making.

It does require patience, perseverance, and for me it is one of the most important things in my lifestyle. Quilting is so rewarding, especially if you make something for someone else, like one of the charities. Start small and before you know it you, too, will be a QUILTER, an artist. And, p.s. there are no stupid questions except those that DON'T get asked so ask away.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:05 PM

that depends on how bad you want to learn to quilt it is not for everyone , but i enjoy it, my sister that can make any kind of clothing you would want , tried to quilt and she hates it !!