Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Use for Goggle search >

New Use for Goggle search

New Use for Goggle search

Old 11-21-2010, 10:56 PM

BettyGee - You are a person after my own heart :thumbup:

I too have collected over a hundred cookery books in our thirty years of marriage, the family think I'm mad! Do you 'follow' recipes to the letter? or are you like me and use them more for information and inspiration? As our four children have have now grown into adults I find they like pudds. more than they did as children so now I do need to follow recipes as I've never been a 'sweet' cook. I'm just getting the hang of sponges and muffins but they do still seem a little heavy to me. Do you have a secret for light cakes you can share?

Also, lots of you have been talking about looking up recipes on line, are there any favourite/trusted sites I can look at. The only one I have a feed from is the Closet Cook.

Happy jammy Googling Everyone :-P :-P
Sue (rummage)
Old 11-21-2010, 11:11 PM
mac

I'm with all of you. I can sit at my computer for hours and not realize that so much time has passed. It's mind-boggling. Then I end up wondering where all my time went.

And it is not just quilting things that I look up either; I can't remember the last time I looked up a recipe in my rather extensive cookbook collection. Instead I look for recipes on the internet that are tried and true. You can spend hours just reading comments on what people say about a recipe. Lately I've been looking for Gluten Free recipes for baking for my friends for the holidays. What a challenge to find a good one.

Recipes are like land minds, you can spend a lot of time making something that sounds wonderful only to have it blow up in your face when you taste it. The comments are so helpful with all of their ideas and what works, what doesn't work and how to tweak the recipe to make it a little better.

Even though the computer and the internet have really enriched my life, I can say that I had so much more time on my hands before they were invented.

And don't even get me started on playing games on the computer. Bejeweled Blitz and Freecell are two very addictive games for me that can melt time away like it was nothing...
Old 11-21-2010, 11:30 PM

My computer is like a private viewing window leading to the rest of the world. You search, surf, scan, learn or laugh, you keep your info to yourself or you share, yourself or share...Isn't it lovely being free to have options, a choice. Jammies, coffee, cozy quilts and the rest of the world at your finger tips. Ahhhh yessss... Now all we need is Mrs Olson to make another pot of Maxwell House....I remember it well.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:42 AM

Well. rummage from Scotland, I have shelves lined with cookbooks (and many 3-ring binders printed from the computer) but I rarely follow a recipe to a T. When I have a recipe in mind, I pull out several cookbooks and find the recipe. Then I read through all of them and decide on ingredients and method. And yes, I, too, use them for inspiration. As far as sites for recipes, I like to go to the copycat sites and find recipes for things I like in restaurants. Google is my friend when I am looking for a recipe (or a quilt pattern).
Old 11-22-2010, 04:10 AM

Oh my! It sounds as though some of you actually get OUT of your P.J.s. Mine are on until I go to bed. The clothes are on long enough to run errands, or conduct my programs, then BAM, back to the comfeys as soon as I get home.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:49 AM

I love to google too. It is fun to look up not only quilt pictures and patterns, but free clip art of butterflies, bears, buffaloes, teacups and on and on. For the fun of it go and type in "free clip art roses"! Is that enough roses to last a lifetime? Then on the left hand side you can click on "red" voila...all red roses...! Yellow? all yellow roses. and etc. It's wonderful..but yep it is addicting.
Recipes too!
Old 11-22-2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Julie in NM
I have been looking for color ways for DWR and drunkard's path. Went to Google and did a search for... double wedding ring quilts images... and spent over an HOUR looking at different color combo. Wonderful eye candy. Did the browsing at home, in jammies, with coffee!!
You just described how I am up not getting as much sewing done somedays...lol
Old 11-22-2010, 04:51 PM

Google led me to this site and I've made some wonderful friends that I'd have missed. Google is great for answering those questions that you feel silly asking because you think that you really should already know the answer. I am rather disappointed that Google has gotten into the commercial aspect by sponsering certain sites; however, by the same token I've found some terrific sources for quilting supplies that I might have overlooked. The young men who started Google, I wonder if I could be related to them... Nah.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:59 PM

Does anyone use Stumble Upon? I use to long ago but it got to much garbage in it then I remembered I can alter my interests. I may check it out and choose just a couple topics like quilting and painting...I oil paint at times, jewelry making, writing, collect old barn windows and redo them into stained glass. Just a couple of hobbies. :mrgreen:
Old 11-23-2010, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Momma_K
Does anyone use Stumble Upon? I use to long ago but it got to much garbage in it then I remembered I can alter my interests. I may check it out and choose just a couple topics like quilting and painting...I oil paint at times, jewelry making, writing, collect old barn windows and redo them into stained glass. Just a couple of hobbies. :mrgreen:
Oh my gosh you are just like me! I do bead weaving, plastic canvas, crochet, wood working, cross stitch and anything else that looks like fun. Will have to check out Stumble Upon, never heard of it. Just what I need another web site.