Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newbie asks, "how much does it cost to make a quilt"? >

Newbie asks, "how much does it cost to make a quilt"?

Newbie asks, "how much does it cost to make a quilt"?

Old 07-21-2011, 05:09 AM

I would average $150-200 for twin -full size quilt. This would vary depending on if fabric and batting was on sale. But set aside $200 to be safe.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by DeeBooper
The one my mom is making right now:$160.00 for the top and backing with not many leftovers,$30.00 for batting and the cost of your thread. This is all top quality Asian fabric from LQS. The size is about a full size one. I have spent up to $400.00 just for a block of the month one ( I think they cost more anyways). If you have scraps you could really save a lot.
DeeBooper, what does LQS mean?
Old 07-21-2011, 05:55 AM

BigSister63 (I need a big sister - that'd be cool) Thanks for your estimate - after reading ALL the responses, $200 seems to be a rule of thumb.
Again, thanks to everyone and there were SO many wonderful people chiming in on this thread. Thank you again, so much!
Old 07-21-2011, 06:01 AM

Hi I think it would be more like 400 + for a double queen if you include backing and wadding , on average the fabric can be 22 to 30 dollars a meter
Old 07-21-2011, 06:07 AM

LisaR, $22 - $30 a meter!? Sounds like you live in Australia.

I notice you live in New Zealand. I think you should buy your fabric online - I'm going to and have been buying photographic equipment and other stuff that way for years - never had a problem and camera gear is VERY expensive - I trust the internet system.

Your bank will always support you if you have problems. Promise.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:26 AM

Whatever you think your budget is for a quilt - it will cost more.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:32 AM

just a word of advice...if you haven't made a quilt before, then start on a smaller project first--or an easier one like an Eleanor Burns quilt in a day pattern. Nothing kills the enthusiasm of a new quilter more than working on a very difficult large quilt (without other quilters to help you in process). Good luck, can't wait to see the outcome!
Old 07-21-2011, 06:42 AM

Starting with something small is an excellent idea! I have seen too many beginners just plain quilt because the quilt they started was the size of Egypt!

I don't know anything about the cost of fabric or batting in Australia, but I can tell you how long it usually takes me to make a quilt. I know because so many people asked me that I finally just timed myself through sort of an average quit, which in my case, would be twin sized. ..40 hours. I quilt on my machine and that is part of my figuring.

I am still a bit of a beginner, so I don't pick really complicated patterns. I didn't count picking out my pattern or fabric as part of the 40 hours, though does40 hours does include cutting the fabric.

Hope this is helpful?

This is a great hobby. I hope you enjoy it. I swore I would never quilt, and am on quilt 26. (I started attending quilt meetings 2 years ago, just to keep my sister company and got hooked.)
Old 07-21-2011, 06:47 AM

I have NEVER paid more than $130.00 to make a queen size quilt. I buy the fabric on sale, the batting (wadding) on sale and thread as well. I shop thrift shops, go to garage sales and on occasion have purchased a bed sheet for the back of the quilt. I just made a 69 inch square quilt top for less than $10.00 with fabric purchased at a garage sale.

There have been quilts posted made of men's 100% cotton shirts, skirts, etc. that have been cut up into squares and etc. They are beautiful quilts.

"Where there is a will, there is a way", as the saying goes. I would suggest you find a simple pattern and use color for your more complicated design element within the simple pattern and you will be amazed how little fabric you really need to make a stunning quilt.

I hand quilt my quilts as well, but yesterday I tried machine quilting for the first time. It is not easy and I admire those who can machine quilt on their home machines. I much prefer hand quilting, but I don't have the time to do all of my quilts by hand, so those I am donating I am going to try machine quilting. If they do not look good, I will just remove the machine quilting and do them by hand....oh, for more time...
Old 07-21-2011, 06:47 AM

LQS means local quilt store...