Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newbie asks, "how much does it cost to make a quilt"? >

Newbie asks, "how much does it cost to make a quilt"?

Newbie asks, "how much does it cost to make a quilt"?

Old 07-21-2011, 08:11 AM

I bought all the materials for a king size quilt from a neighboring quilt shop. The fabrics ran on average $10 a yard. I spent over $400 for all needed to make it. I hand pieced and then hand quilted it. Got all the supplies end of last Sept and finished it 2 weeks ago in time to give to my baby sister for their 12th anniversary. I worked on it every spare minute i had. (now she wants me to make handmade throw pillows to match, like more than a dozen.)
And there are no nosey questions on here if it is about quilting. Just ask, if we don't know we will tell you so but am sure someone will know something about it.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:42 AM

The $200 a lot of the members said is about what I pay. I live in a small town and the fabric averages about $12 a yard for better quality. I also use 100% batting which is more expensive than poly but I like the appearance and breathability of the cotton. So my batting for a queen runs about $45. My backing runs about $45 at $15 a yard. However, I do a lot of custom landscape quilts that use hot ribbon and swarvowski crystals so that adds about $100 to the cost of each quilt. And I am sooooooooo jealous of all the talented quilters who can get a quilt done quickly. I guess I'm a slow poke because it takes me about 200 hours to do one. Good luck and if you have any problems there are plenty of experts on board to help you out - just holler.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by nyelphaba
Whatever you think your budget is for a quilt - it will cost more.
I agree, and it will take more time too. My twin size, hand quilted, that I am entering in the fair took about 500 hours.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:17 AM

Depending on the size and how many different colors will be involved. I figure on a queen size quilt 12 - 14 yards of fabric. The cost of the pattern is $8-9.00. Batting $35. Backing for a queen size 40 inch wide = 9 yards. 108 inches wide 3 yards. Binding 3/4 - 1 yard. Your biggest cost will be in your yardage purchased. I shop for best price in the color I choose to use. I start with my background purchase first. It usually requires the most yardage (up to 5 yards). The rest could be purchased off of here from other members or put an ISO in the classified to help defray costs. Be sure and list yardage needed. Sometimes the dye lots are a little off and would be noticable if purchased from different suppliers. Your cost for a queen size quilt could be as low as $125.00 up to $250.00, depending on where you get your fabric. Try not to mix quilt shop fabric with JoAnns and Walmart. They have different thread counts and will wear differently. One might get thread bare after 20 washings, the other after 100 washings. Cheryl
Old 07-21-2011, 11:56 AM

You can bring the cost down a good bit by putting a "recycled" back on your quilt...a bed sheet is great unless you plan to handquilt it and then don't do that as they aren't easy to hand quilt! I occasionally buy a new flat sheet on Ebay to match my pieced top and still save a lot of money. Or I use a favorite flat sheet after I buy new sheets....
Old 07-21-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by malfromcessnock
Thanks Mo_Chride and Susie for your help.

Mo_Chride, a GFG?
Hi and welcome from Azrizona. GFG: grandmothers flower garden. It's a quilt pattern.

Robyn
Old 07-21-2011, 01:38 PM

The cost could depend:
1. Where and when you purchase your material
2. The size of the quilt that you are considering quilting
3. The quality of fabric you choose to you use
4. Whether you use recycled fabrics (t-shirts, old clothes recut) to add to the newly purchased fabrics
5. Whether you are handquilting or machine quilting/ this could determine the amount amount and colors of thread
6. Whether you are going to outsource the quilting of the quilt once you complete the top.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

In Pennsylvania, USA, right now I would put aside at least $200.00 + to start, for a basic, Queen size quilt. That is an average ammount using quality material but not the most expensive. With the price of cotton going up.....

I've learned to love scrappy quilts! almost no charge for fabric if you can use others scraps!

The advice to find fabric on the board it a great idea.
peace
:D
Old 07-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by malfromcessnock
LisaR, $22 - $30 a meter!? Sounds like you live in Australia.

I notice you live in New Zealand. I think you should buy your fabric online - I'm going to and have been buying photographic equipment and other stuff that way for years - never had a problem and camera gear is VERY expensive - I trust the internet system.

Your bank will always support you if you have problems. Promise.
M, you like photography? here are some photos that were transfered to fabric and quilted. They were in a show I attended this spring. Eye candy!

African Vultures
[ATTACH=CONFIG]229848[/ATTACH]

Peacock
[ATTACH=CONFIG]229849[/ATTACH]

Grasshoppers
[ATTACH=CONFIG]229850[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-229842.jpe   attachment-229843.jpe   attachment-229844.jpe  
Old 07-21-2011, 02:54 PM

Everyone has had such great answers to a difficult question. I would like to add:

1. I definitely agree with the suggestion to start with a small project first. Especially if you are teaching yourself on your own. What I consider to be my first real quilt I took a class at my local shop. I think it cost me $150-$170 including fabric, some notions, batting for a lap quilt.

2. Your first quilt might end up being more than you would normally spend because you don't have a stash. I believe that as you quilt and your stash builds the cost per quilt goes down because you won't buy as much for each quilt. Unless you're doing something special, you buy a kit, etc.

Good luck and we all look forward to seeing some of your work!