Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newbie asks, "how much does it cost to make a quilt"? >

Newbie asks, "how much does it cost to make a quilt"?

Newbie asks, "how much does it cost to make a quilt"?

Old 07-21-2011, 03:06 PM

:lol: I have to say that GFG is not on my list of 'right of passage' quilts. Mine is a double wedding ring quilt. That flower garden and all those hexagons can just stay in the garden.

Originally Posted by nstewart9
just a word of advice...if you haven't made a quilt before, then start on a smaller project first-- Nothing kills the enthusiasm of a new quilter more than working on a very difficult large quilt
I'll second this. My very first attempt at quilting I tried a double wedding ring. I bought the little plastic template set and went to work....it's still sitting in a box in the closet. I didn't attempt quilting again for about 5 years, then it was something simple.

Also check out Bonnie at Quiltville.com she's put out a couple books "scraps and shirt tails" about quiting with old clothes she picks up at the local thrift store. http://quiltville.com/scrapsandshirttailspreview.shtml

So there are ways to quilt economically. If you have the time. But if money is no problem, you can spend as much as you have. And then a little more because you found this really useful ruler that will be good for this one pattern you saw. And hey, this pattern looks cool.

And the time it takes to make a quilt? Depends on the pattern and your schedule.

I've been able to complete a twin size top in a weekend-maybe 16 hours of good solid sewing with an easy pattern.

The quilting itself-well that can take longer then piecing the top.

Are you going to machine quilt it on your dms (domestic sewing machine)? or are you going to hand quilt or even tie it?

Hand quilting will take the rest of the year (you can tell I'm not much of a hand quilter) and tieing can be done in several hours.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:09 PM

I'm not in Australia...but thinking about 16.00 American per yard there..
For a generous queen size (104 x 104"), look at 240.00 for quality fabrics, 10.00 for sewing thread, 20.00 for quilting thread, 25.00 for poly batting...

So $295.00 USD to assemble a quilt. You time is not included.

If you were to have, say me make your quilt (and I'm not as highly priced as some)..I'd charge 150.00 to assemble the top and about 200.00 to quilt the quilt...and another 60.00 to do the binding.

So, about $645.00 USD to make a generous queen size quilt.

Originally Posted by malfromcessnock
Can I run this one by the members please?

I know there will be many variables cause every quilt is different, but say you wanted to make yourself a quilt next month - how much would you want to budget so see this project to completion (assuming you are going to quilt it yourself)

I will attempt to quilt it myself and cut out my own fabric from yardage.

Cause I figure I gotta start preparing for my first.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:55 PM

I agree with starting small. I love making mug rugs- they can be anywhere from 4"x4" and on up. I like making them about 6x8- you can sew strips together or make a sample block that you want to try out. Then you quilt it and bind it, just like a mini quilt. I would make them all day long if I did not have bigger things to finish! BTW, welcome from Western Washington State, and P.S., you have a great smile!
Old 07-21-2011, 06:14 PM

[quote=charity-crafter]:lol: I have to say that GFG is not on my list of 'right of passage' quilts. Mine is a double wedding ring quilt. That flower garden and all those hexagons can just stay in the garden.

To this I say LOL!

The Double Wedding Ring is on my To-Do list eventually. I will want to do it hand pieced and since my GFG is my first hand pieced top I figured it seemed easier. I am finding the hand piecing, while it is taking a fair bit of time, addicting.

As for a first quilt, my first (and second, third and fifth) were all crib sized Yellow Brick Road (YBR) quilts. It is a nice beginner quilt that, at least for the crib size, mostly uses fat quarters. It is nice straight cuts without having to worry about triangles or angles. All squares and rectangles but it doesn't look boring. The disappearing nine patch looks like a good beginner quilt too (that's the one where you sew nine squares and then cut them into one big square, one little square and two rectangles, times four, right?).

I would also see if maybe there is a LQS that offers classes near you. It is a good way to get started and get taught the basics as well as meeting other quilters near you. I have loved all of the classes I took through my LQS. My first YBR was made in my very first set of classes, my first introduction to quilting. In it they taught me the rudiments of rotary cutting, piecing, the quarter inch seam, squaring blocks, sandwiching, basting, quilting and binding. Basically, a good base understanding of a basic quilt from start to finish, and I was hooked!

Tara
Old 07-21-2011, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting

M, you like photography? here are some photos that were transfered to fabric and quilted. They were in a show I attended this spring. Eye candy!
Lovely quilts ube quilting. The peacock would lend itself to a "real" pieced quilt interpretation. Can you imagine it?
Old 07-21-2011, 11:46 PM

I can.t believe this. I too am a new member to this site, am from Cessnock
PJ Patchworks at Green Hills and has Good Staff that are
always willing to advise. and run Classes to assist Customers. Good quality fabrics and Patterns etc. are available.
On that point it makes it hard to say what the cost will be.
it usually depends on Qualityof fabric you choose.
Hope this helps you;
Old 07-22-2011, 12:39 AM
Rie

I would ask for scraps from others and use those to make a quilt. www.quiltville.com has some nice scrappy patterns that you can use. I don't know if this will work (or even if someone else has already said this) but you could get some gently used second hand shirt and use them to make a quilt also. good luck.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:43 AM

Hi mall. Good luck with your first quilt. Do not be intimidated by it...just enjoy the process and have fun!
Old 07-22-2011, 12:51 AM
Rie

MO your EPP (English Paper Piecing) quilt is beautiful. I'm working on Patchwork of the Crosses. It has taken me a year so far. I don't know how much it has cost for fabric but I don't usually pay full price for fabric (I swap with friends, take their scraps they throw away, use 50% off coupons, buy online, put fabric on my christmas list, check the clearance sections first).

My EPP. Patchwork of the Crosses by Lucy Boston.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]230017[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-230011.jpe  
Old 07-22-2011, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Rie
MO your EPP (English Paper Piecing) quilt is beautiful. I'm working on Patchwork of the Crosses. It has taken me a year so far. I don't know how much it has cost for fabric but I don't usually pay full price for fabric (I swap with friends, take their scraps they throw away, use 50% off coupons, buy online, put fabric on my christmas list, check the clearance sections first).
Oooooh! Rie, I love that! Love the colours, the pattern and the whole thing. I am going to have to remember that one since I was already looking for another EPP to hand piece for when I finished this one.

I am loving the hand piecing with my two little ones since I can take it with me when I go to watch lessons or am out and about and waiting or just get five minutes to sit down.

Thanks for sharing yours!

Tara