Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Newbie To The Board Wanting To Know If Anyone Has Ever Had A "Day?"

Blog Entries
    Poor girl, we all have had days like that. We just have to grin and bear it and correct our mistakes.

Power Poster
    Yea that sounds like one of my days.

Blog Entries
    Just another day in the life of a quilter. Hang in there. All is forgotten when you finally end up with a beautiful quilt.

Yes, I have had several of those days. Have had three of my machines in the shop since Christmas. That's when you go to the kitchen, make a cup of something hot and sweet and sit down and drink it along with some chocolate or a good home made cinnamon roll and ocunt your other blessings. The sewing will wait until you feel better.

Well, yesterday was one of the worst!
    It was a beautiful day!
    I planned to finish the second charity quilt top of ist. grade kids hands- so it could go to the longarm.
    First, the bathmat was wet before I used it...and yucky too, that was strange...must have a leak from the tub.
    I put it in the sink to wash it....and Niagra Falls ! out of the bottom of the sinkstand cabinet, water everywhere! Filled the cabinet floor base with a couple of inches of water and ran out on the floor. You see, former occupants of my rented house had used the sink as a beer cooler, and thinking themselves very clever used the overflow slot as a built in opener, and bent the basin and cracked the enamel, and the whole thing underneath finally broke/leaked!
    Ok ! Moped that up and called maintenance...Took a shower, and went into the sewing room. Yik! the corner of the sewing room carpet was soaked! It was not the sink -different leak from the bathtub. Called Maintenance again...
    Avoiding the wet carpet, I began sewing on the kids quilt top, (This was before breaksfast...big mistake! Never got any.)
    Eventually, and different times the maintenace, the roto-rooter guy and a plumber arrived. Finally, they all got together and got into a big argument about the source of the tub leak... they promised to bring a shop vac to suck up the water in my sewing room, and turn on a fan to dry it. It never arrived or got done...The plumber cut holes in the wall, and welded something...Maintenance got black epoxy spots and dribbles everywhere attempting to repair the sink problem...
    Off and on with this commotion I worked at stitching the kids top together.
    Then I got a call that one of my friends in her 50s had just died of her lung cancer. I had taught her to quilt and given her my old computer and taught her to use it.
    Last year she helped me make 10 kids quilts we donated to St. Jude's Hospital. Although the news was not unexpected, she died in her sleep, which was a blessing...
    I was really devastated! She is 700 miles away...which makes it all harder.
    I cried and sewed and finally finished the top in the late afternoon.
    and I have another friend that I have known for 74 years, and keep in touch with over the computer, who is the same age as me, 81, but we haven't seen each other since we graduated from high school - well, he had a heart attack and is in the hospital in Washington State, and not expected to live much longer....no news today. You have to know we have been friends since the second grade, and still visualize each other as being 17 instead of old and wrinkly. No, we never dated...just kept in touch all these years...

Awwwww, jp, holding you close in my arms and heart. How hard to lose loved ones that are far away. I, too, keep in touch with friends from my school years so I understand the connection you can have. And the frustration of being far away when friends and loved ones are sick and you cannot be with them in person.
    Isn't it wonderful that we have our quilting to turn to as an outlet for our emotions and feelings? How we can pour our love, tears, and sometimes even anger and frustrations right out of our bodies thru our fingers and turn it all into love in our quilts? Those salty teardrops turn sweet and make the quilt even more cuddly; like being touched by a fairygodmother's wand!

Blog Entries
    Chocolate works.

The other afternoon after houseword and de-cluttering the house I went to my sewing room. Every seam I sewed was off and then my thread broke I ripped out all the seams, put a new needle in my machine and rethreded, turned off the machine and went and got a book to read. Sometimes enough is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by wildyard
    Awwwww, jp, holding you close in my arms and heart. How hard to lose loved ones that are far away. I, too, keep in touch with friends from my school years so I understand the connection you can have. And the frustration of being far away when friends and loved ones are sick and you cannot be with them in person.
    Isn't it wonderful that we have our quilting to turn to as an outlet for our emotions and feelings? How we can pour our love, tears, and sometimes even anger and frustrations right out of our bodies thru our fingers and turn it all into love in our quilts? Those salty teardrops turn sweet and make the quilt even more cuddly; like being touched by a fairygodmother's wand!
    Thanks Linda! You made me feel better! Isn't it amazing that the question came up on the board on possibly the worst day I could possibly have in quite a while! Thank goodness I had a deadline on those two quilt tops for the 1st and 2nd grade kids!
    Having to work on them helped me get through the day...and in searching for the fabric I used I found the center of a ufo uneven 8 pointed star top I had completely forgotten about! So finishing that top is my next project. I have enough of a exotic print fabric the center is made of mostly,(of pink roses, fanciful flowers and rust and golden butterflies, over lime and yellow leaves on a background of white) to make one narrow border. I have found enough of the exact shades of rust and yellow to make more borders There are two different shades of pink...maybe one of them in one of those narrow fold over 3-D borders I love to make...see you are right!
    Working on it will help me get through the sorrow.Being a newcomer here, although I am making friends, I don't think I can count of any of them for much more than a hug and the required words!
    Especially if some of them understood that Elizabeth was a funny wonderful young black person, who would yell and complain that I was working her to death helping me make little quilts for kids...and yet she would bring me finished tops, all on her own, saying "You don't deserve these, but the kids do! and dig through my stash for more fabric, grumbling all the time she was choosing pieces, which made me laugh even harder!
    I liked her mom too! She was such a loving wonderful person. She died suddenly too, just like her daughter, fell asleep for a nap and never woke up - about a year ago now. It was hard on Elizabeth, being without her mom, and bravely facing terminal cancer. My worst day, when I moved in August from Jackson MIss to Port Lavaca TX, was saying goodby to her.
    I know the beautiful New York countryside where you live.
    It is a long story, but my ex-husband's family lived in the fingerlake region. It is icy and snowy now, but summers are wonderful there. Thanks again for your sympathy!...and kind words! they helped! Jeannie

Barbara: Been there and done that too many times. Hang in there. And welcome from Denver, Co. Home of the Rockies!

Jeannie: Sending my angels to wrap you in their love and comfort you. Hugs.

Helen

Quote Originally Posted by auntiehenno
    Jeannie: Sending my angels to wrap you in their love and comfort you. Hugs.

Helen
    Thanks so much Helen! I welcome your angels!
    By the way I have been up in your country long ago in a light plane....There was a funny all ways, round, airfield airport there then. Jeannie

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4