Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newbie problem >

Newbie problem

Newbie problem

Old 04-26-2012, 03:32 AM

Retired Fire Chief,
That's what I do, too, hold onto the threads. I even take a stitch before going through the fabric, that way the thread locks around the edge of the fabric and doesn't unravel. I let go of the threads after I make a couple of stitches through the fabric.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:49 AM

I had this problem with my Pfaff CV and after I bought a single hole stitch plate the machine quit "eating" my fabric.
KarenSue

Originally Posted by auntiem View Post
Hi, I'm a newbie here and to quilting, but already need help. I have a Baby Lock Quest Plus which my DH gave me a few years ago for my BD---sweet man! I have sewn for 40+ years but never tried quilting before this year so am a total newbie at this. My problem is that when I start a 1/4" seam, my machine is feeding the fabric down into the needle hole on the plate, I am using the 1/4" quilting foot and the machine's PDQ system which should help with even feeding of the fabric. Any ideas on how to prevent this would be great and so appreciated. I don't want to get frustrated before I really get started, I'm sure there will be many better reasons to get frustrated down the road with this new undertaking! Thank you in advance for any help anyone can give me.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:52 AM

Thank you, everyone, for all the warm welcomes and advice----I plan to try all this afternoon. I know I have a single hole needle plate and will dig it out first. Now I see why so many quilters belong to guilds and groups, unfortunately CT does not seem to have any near me so I was thrilled to find this site. As far as posting a picture of my first quilting attempt, let's see how it turns out! All your pictures are so beautiful, I'm a little intimidated! Again, thank you and I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:10 AM

I am so glad that you have a single hole plate. Your using it should really help. Just be sure to change it when you do zigzag stitching. I do like using the scraps of fabric at the beginning and ending of stitching. I feel my stitches are more secure. Isn't this quilting board wonderful! I have learned so much here. Welcome!
Old 04-26-2012, 04:37 AM
Power Poster

Hi, just wanted to add my very warm welcome to you from Northern California. Happy quilting. BrendaK.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:39 AM

I use scraps of thin paper (scraps from thin foundation pattern left over from paper piecing) this way (unlike when using leaders and enders) I don't need to really be careful about where I place the leader, I just throw it down, put my work on topo of it, sew through it and tear it off, reusing some of those torn off bits, works like a charm.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:49 AM

I use both leaders and enders on my Brother...

Anita in Northfield, MN
Old 04-26-2012, 05:25 AM

Welcome and I'm so happy that your problem has been solved. I've found that just about any question can be answered by the super ladies and gentlemen on this board. This was a lesson for me, what a great idea. And they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:33 AM

I have great results by using a single hole throat plate. Have to be careful though that you don't forget about it and start to do any stitch other than a straight.
Robin in TX
Old 04-26-2012, 05:35 AM

Sounds like good suggestions, welcome to the board!