Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Newbie problem

I don't use universal needles. Universal needles just aren't that great. I use quilting needles for piecing because they're designed to go thru multiple layers and topstitch needles for quilting because they cut down on thread fraying.
    Last edited by PatriceJ; 04-24-2012 at 11:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    I use bonnie hunters method. I attended her class once. She is a great teacher. Welcome and her is a link to her site: www.quiltville.com
    Sewflower

Do you have a straight stitch plate? It would help keep the fabric from bunching.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE... I read somewhere to take a small scrape of fabric and start sewing in the middle of the fabric and then keep on piecing your quilting fabric. It works everytime....[/QUOTE]

I use scrap paper... notebook, copy... whatever. It works very well and the paper rips off very easily when you're done.

Blog Entries
    Let me try this once again, I don't think my first quick reply posted - a trick I was taught at a quilt class I attended was to gently pull both your threads, bobbin and spool threads, out behind your foot when you first start. You won't get the feeding into the hole this way, I found it works every time.

Retired Fire Chief,
    That's what I do, too, hold onto the threads. I even take a stitch before going through the fabric, that way the thread locks around the edge of the fabric and doesn't unravel. I let go of the threads after I make a couple of stitches through the fabric.

I had this problem with my Pfaff CV and after I bought a single hole stitch plate the machine quit "eating" my fabric.
    KarenSue

Quote Originally Posted by auntiem View Post
    Hi, I'm a newbie here and to quilting, but already need help. I have a Baby Lock Quest Plus which my DH gave me a few years ago for my BD---sweet man! I have sewn for 40+ years but never tried quilting before this year so am a total newbie at this. My problem is that when I start a 1/4" seam, my machine is feeding the fabric down into the needle hole on the plate, I am using the 1/4" quilting foot and the machine's PDQ system which should help with even feeding of the fabric. Any ideas on how to prevent this would be great and so appreciated. I don't want to get frustrated before I really get started, I'm sure there will be many better reasons to get frustrated down the road with this new undertaking! Thank you in advance for any help anyone can give me.

Thank you, everyone, for all the warm welcomes and advice----I plan to try all this afternoon. I know I have a single hole needle plate and will dig it out first. Now I see why so many quilters belong to guilds and groups, unfortunately CT does not seem to have any near me so I was thrilled to find this site. As far as posting a picture of my first quilting attempt, let's see how it turns out! All your pictures are so beautiful, I'm a little intimidated! Again, thank you and I'll let you know how it goes.

I am so glad that you have a single hole plate. Your using it should really help. Just be sure to change it when you do zigzag stitching. I do like using the scraps of fabric at the beginning and ending of stitching. I feel my stitches are more secure. Isn't this quilting board wonderful! I have learned so much here. Welcome!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Hi, just wanted to add my very warm welcome to you from Northern California. Happy quilting. BrendaK.
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

I use scraps of thin paper (scraps from thin foundation pattern left over from paper piecing) this way (unlike when using leaders and enders) I don't need to really be careful about where I place the leader, I just throw it down, put my work on topo of it, sew through it and tear it off, reusing some of those torn off bits, works like a charm.

I use both leaders and enders on my Brother...

Anita in Northfield, MN

Welcome and I'm so happy that your problem has been solved. I've found that just about any question can be answered by the super ladies and gentlemen on this board. This was a lesson for me, what a great idea. And they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks.
    BettyGee, quilter on a Rocky Mountain High

I have great results by using a single hole throat plate. Have to be careful though that you don't forget about it and start to do any stitch other than a straight.
    Robin in TX

Sounds like good suggestions, welcome to the board!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

leaders and enders by bonnie hunter is the great way of getting two for one.........or you can see if the dealer of your machine has ther faceplate with only a hole in it instead of the universal one......helps to keep needle from dragging fabric into machine.....I personally cut the squares with my Go die cutter, have the basket next to machine and away I go. Start and end with another "pair of squares" which will one day be a scrappy.......

Welcome to the board, and may you have many happy hours here, and quilting! All the advice here is spot on. When I had this problem, my dealer had an additional piece of advice: While your faceplate is off, gently remove any dust that has built up under it. You'd be surprised how much dust you get from thread and material. This seems to help.

having anything to grab solves the problem: small piece of fabric, coffee filter, stiff interfacing. Use whatever is available. same works for dressmaker sewing on small areas:collars, cuffs, etc.

i had that problem also and leaer fabric is the solution

sorry i miss spelled that word it is supposed to be leader

Welcome from Littlefield, TX! Use a leader strip when I am going to do strips...saves a lot of machine eaten edges.
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot V3 automated quilter
    https://www.facebook.com/campbellsquiltingbymarge

which plate?

Are you using the zig zag plate? That could cause the problem. Use the straight stictch , the one with the smaller opening.
    Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by auntiem View Post
    ................. My problem is that when I start a 1/4" seam, my machine is feeding the fabric down into the needle hole on the plate, I am using the 1/4" quilting foot and the machine's PDQ system which should help with even feeding of the fabric. Any ideas on how to prevent this would be great and so appreciated. I don't want to get frustrated before I really get started, I'm sure there will be many better reasons to get frustrated down the road with this new undertaking! Thank you in advance for any help anyone can give me.

·What does a clock do when it's hungry? It goes back four seconds.

I have a single needle plate for my machine. It just has one tiny hole for the needle, not the slot like a regular needle plate. This means only the needle gets below the needle plate, not the needle and a bunch up of fabric. It seems like a luxury, but it helps sooooo much and I use it for all my piecing.

I'm sure the people above are right. But being a newbie I found I just needed to turn my plate on the machine around for the small hole and not use the hole for zig-zagging. Now that was a duh moment LOL.....Felt really dumb at that point for sure

Welcome to a great group! I found that if I changed my throat plate to one with a circle, my problem was solved.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast