Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Next Project >

Next Project

Next Project

Old 02-08-2017, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Austinite View Post
I only have two, maybe three projects planned ahead, but I'm a bit weird, I find it very stressful to make multiple things at once. I have the next thing planned often but I can't start it till my last one is bound, washed, and gifted.
This is the way I am too...I am a one-at-a-time kind of quilter, though I do start thinking of the next as I am quilting the one I am close to finishing. So, at least there are two of us who are weird
Old 02-08-2017, 04:09 PM

I like to plan for the next project too because I want all the material and notions ready, so I can start cutting right away. Even though I plan ahead, I can really only work on one project at at time. I do on occasion work on Leader and Ender projects, but often, that too gets packed away.

So my question to this, is what do people think is the biggest cause of UFOs?
Old 02-08-2017, 04:41 PM
Power Poster

I have 6 projects already in the cabinet and now have been informed my youngest will be asking his girlfriend's hand in marriage. So that's 4 more counting her and her 3 children. When I was up north in July she had a slew of quilts. Her family and friends love them. They don't turn any away. They appreciate all and they use them.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:35 PM

I have six panels with fabric, and 4 patterns with fabric, ready to go. I spent hours last light night researching one I fell in love with on Facebook! I have changed my mind on one pattern already, so maybe if I wait long enough, I'll change it back again! Meanwhile I'm trying to finish my chicken quilt, and I have two quilts I said I'd repair...sight unseen. (What was I thinking!!) We do make it hard on ourselves don't we?
Old 02-08-2017, 06:32 PM

I seem to be the odd quilter out, here. I'm actively cutting for 6 quilts, Flower Basket*, low volume stars*, hashtag*, granny square*, antique herringbone, road to ARK, scrappy star, scrappy bright log cabin, and actively cutting & sewing blocks for 6" Square in Square*, 1" stamp, plus*, striped chisel, 7" divided square, tumbler, applecore, Bonnie Hunter's Carolina Crossroads*, brick chevron (6" blocks).

*designates a "charm" quilt, one of each fabric only

But there's a reason for the insanity...twitch (beyond the obvious)... I had a moment of clarity about my crazy mismatched stash. Cut it up & use it!!!

I love scrappy quilts, AND planned quilts. most of the fabrics, there isn't enough of several compatible fabrics for a planned quilt, just yards and half yards, maybe two. But, there is too much of some to put it all in the same scrappy quilt. So, I came up with a "cut down plan". One cut each for all the charm quilts, then cut it all down for the others, with a casual limit of 7% per quilt. (for example, a quilt with 260 blocks, would have a max of 18 units cut from each fabric)
Old 02-08-2017, 07:46 PM

I always have several projects in process and many in the planning--but that doesn't mean that they are all ready to jump into--some are just sketchs or blocks saved into EQ7, some I have fabric for, etc. So guess I have to admit that I have I planned quilts---but also several in various stages of planning!
Old 02-09-2017, 03:19 AM

This is the fun of my retirement so I have no stress of getting anything done. My goal is to use up all the fabric that I have in my stash in the next 20 something years, at least get the top pieced. The Pinterest wall better not have a max because everything I like I pin it there. Then...everything I like that you wonderful people put on this board is printed off and stored in notebooks marked "Quilt Fun'. My Quilt Fun II notebook is almost full.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:00 AM

I have been diligently working on a few UFO's and have successfully mailed two of them to my siblings in California. I am chomping at the bit to start a new quilt but am trying to maintain self control until I get my last 3 UFO's done. They are in different stages but two just need bindings and I have scheduled a date to rent a LA first of March for the last one. In the meantime, I have been making bandana drool bibs and baby quilts for the arrival of my second grandson in April.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Austinite View Post
I only have two, maybe three projects planned ahead, but I'm a bit weird, I find it very stressful to make multiple things at once. I have the next thing planned often but I can't start it till my last one is bound, washed, and gifted.

This is what I do too. But, I find I get bored working on a large, complicated, bed quilt. So my solution is each month I take a "vacation" from the big quilt and make a few small charity quilts and charity blocks for a day or two and then, back at it, refreshed and ready to make progress on the big guy!
Old 02-09-2017, 04:24 AM

I love that "Raining Cats and Dogs" book! Have made several things out of it, including a sampler with various sized blocks for the Humane Society to raffle.