Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No More Safety Pins! >

No More Safety Pins!

No More Safety Pins!

Old 02-05-2020, 03:46 AM

Default No More Safety Pins!

I used the spray basting to layer my latest quilt. Had to resist the urge to backup with my safety pins. WOW. Goodbye pins, hello 505. Again, learned about spray adhesives here. Thanks to everyone for sharing knowledge. Will try to post pic today.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:13 AM

I use to love my 505 but now have gone to Elmers School Glue. I find it works much better for me.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
I use to love my 505 but now have gone to Elmers School Glue. I find it works much better for me.
me too. Drizzled on straight from the bottle
Old 02-05-2020, 04:17 AM
Administrator

i've tried several methods.
i keep going back to basting spray.
i think the wash-out school glue is the next best method.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

I spray baste too. I have tried all the basting sprays and all seem to work fine. I make my own spray and it works great for me. No smell or fumes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVRrFGFXXfc&t=136s
Old 02-05-2020, 05:04 AM

I also gave up safety pins forever! I find I use less and less spray now. I smooth all the layers out well and spray very lightly. I also never get wrinkles of any kind. Best thing since sliced bread!!!
Old 02-05-2020, 05:30 AM

I haven't tried glue yet but I am a big fan of spray baste. Takes awhile to get the right distance and the right amount of spray.

Don't get rid of your pins though, they will come up for use from time to time. Recently I've been dealing with some fabrics that weren't easy to tell what side was "right" and in this project it mattered to me. What I found was the easiest way to deal with them was to not fold strips when I cut them, but to layout everything right side up, cut my pieces into groups of 6-ish and pinned them together with the safety pin, right side up and the pin was on top as a handle. Got out my box of safety pins and my life became much better. In my case the fabrics were hand dyed but I've had a hard time with white on whites and fabrics with subtle shines or other differences.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:43 AM

I, too, have been a big spray basting fan.

I make a lot of baby quilts (big, big family!) and always wash the quilts before gifting to remove all the spray and just normal dust and dirt. However, I recently learned on this board that 505 Spray (which I use) has to be removed by dry cleaning. So, I looked for other options.

I have settled on trying Elmer's washable glue diluted with water and using a misting bottle. I wanted to dilute it so that I wouldn't gum up my needle. There is a You Tube video available showing how to do this.

My mister is due to arrive today (I ordered a Misto) and will let you know how it works.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PAMAR View Post
I, too, have been a big spray basting fan.

I make a lot of baby quilts (big, big family!) and always wash the quilts before gifting to remove all the spray and just normal dust and dirt. However, I recently learned on this board that 505 Spray (which I use) has to be removed by dry cleaning. So, I looked for other options.

I have settled on trying Elmer's washable glue diluted with water and using a misting bottle. I wanted to dilute it so that I wouldn't gum up my needle. There is a You Tube video available showing how to do this.

My mister is due to arrive today (I ordered a Misto) and will let you know how it works.
i have done more than 20 quilts with elmers washable school glue straight from the bottle drizzled on. I consider it a replacement for pin basting in that it doesn’t have to be all over lIke spray basting. If it is dry it doesn’t gum up or break a needle. If I drop a glob I spread it out with my finger - washes off. I’ve gone as big as queen size. My concern with diluting and spraying or misting is all that water on the quilt. Let us know how it goes. I’m always open to new ways.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

When I use Elmer's either diluted or not I always press it dry. A quick press with a hot iron will set the glue seconds. Also one of the best tips I have gotten from this board is use my long Quilters Slidelock to smooth the quilt sandwich as I glue baste it. Another great use for a great tool. I don't rotary cut without my Slidelock or glove.