Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: No Power = No Sewing

I retreated to my FIL's house with my tw year old, my gfg project, 3 quilt magazines and the Union Quilters book. Guess its some forced relaxation as I was supposed to be finishing two customer quilts this weekend. Although with the two year old there hasn't been a lot of relaxation going on. A column blew off our house last night and my dh stayed behind to take care of our dogs. We've been without power for 24hrs and no end in site...not a big deal normally but it was 100 today and I have refrigerated meds for my RA....is a treadle hard on your hands or is it operated by another part of the body?
    The Potomac Quilter
    Innova 26 with Lightning Stitch and Autopilot

I hope everyone without power gets it back soon. How awful. At our house when we don't have power we don't have water because we get our water from a well.

Praying for all of you.

Blog Entries

No Power

My power was out for 20 hours. Hot as hadies to say the least. My little dog and I spent some time in the car with AC on just to cool off a bit. Was never so glad to see the power come back on tonight around 9 pm. The AC is still running because the house got so hot with the high temps outside today. I hope everyone gets their power back soon.
    MaryB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OCquilter View Post
    I borrowed my husband's camping headlamp the last time our power was out. It is a great light for handwork and for reading. I requested my own the next Christmas.
    I want to get one of those so I can read at least when the power is off. Good idea!!!
    MaryB

Oh, I feel bad for all of you without power. We lived thru Hurricane Ike a few years ago. The power was down for over a week, but we did have a small generator for the refrigerator, fans and light. I know you have all been suffering with the unusual heat. Sewing on in the face of adversity says a lot about the fortitude of quilters. Hang in there.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

Blog Entries
    Treadle time!!!

Hope things are better for you today, hard to be without power these days. Have Relatives in Charleston WV., really bad there also. Living in FL, I purchased a hand treadle machine like the Seminole Indians and Amish use., aloso have a Treadle machine just in case of Hurricanes here. Sendng prayers.

THE week we had no electric was awful but thankfully we had purchased a generator years ago and glad my deceased husband was so smart

Blog Entries
    A couple summers ago we had a terrible storm in June and lost my power for 8 days. I used the gas grill for cooking. And borrowed family's bathrooms. After that experience, the treadle came upstairs out of the dark. Now it is near my front door so I can sew if the power goes out again. I also have a hand crank machine that will get practice next time I lose power for a long time. I always keep large bags of ice in my freezer and extra water.

Blog Entries
    It is times like this that make me glad I took up camping several years ago and still have all my camping gear. I am also thankful that I have my grandmother-in-laws treadle and that I purchased a Singer Red Eye to convert to a hand crank. It also helps that when I spend time on my homestead, I have no electric, so I live pretty much as my grandparents did on their farm when I was a child. It really can be fun and challenging to take a step back in time occasionally.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Awe, hope it doesn't stay off too long! I'm burning up and mine's on!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

So sorry you've lost power and all others too. I'm very sympathetic as years ago went through a major hurricane and had no power for days on end. It was hot and hard times. Hope it gets back on soon. Do some sewing or needlework by hand to help alleviate the stress if you have time.

When at our cabin in the western upper peninsula of Michigan, I usually sew using a battery, hooked up to an inverter, that my husband charges up either with solar power or the generator. Yes, we have electric power when we run the generator, but we usually do that only to pump up the water. I have a treadle machine there, but I haven't really thought of it for my quilting. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Parkersburg WV: High 90's, 100 temps. We have been so uncomfortable that I am not even thinking "quilting." No water, electricity, ac, no way to cook, no restaurants, traffic lights. No access to Internet, the Cell Phone Towers are down. No way to find out what is going on. There is no gas for vehicles - 90 minute long lines. At least we did not have trees that were damaged that landed on cars and homes - lucky, we have left the area and found a hotel late last night - three hours away. There is no news when power will be restored. We will have to throw out our freezer when we get back. This was not the "good old days."
    Carol

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccthomas View Post
    Parkersburg WV: High 90's, 100 temps. We have been so uncomfortable that I am not even thinking "quilting." No water, electricity, ac, no way to cook, no restaurants, traffic lights. No access to Internet, the Cell Phone Towers are down. No way to find out what is going on. There is no gas for vehicles - 90 minute long lines. At least we did not have trees that were damaged that landed on cars and homes - lucky, we have left the area and found a hotel late last night - three hours away. There is no news when power will be restored. We will have to throw out our freezer when we get back. This was not the "good old days."
    Oh Carol, I feel your pain! I've been worried about our WV neighbors; we're dealing with the same thing here in central VA, as Maryb mentioned. Fortunately my mother 10 miles away from me, between Bedford and Roanoke, has power so I sat and read/sewed/watched TV with her yesterday and slept on a blowup in her kitchen last night. They tell us my area will be back on July 4, but the rest of the area will take til Saturday. With temps up to and over 100 degrees, it's very scary and uncomfortable. I forgot my CPAP machine when I bailed to come to Mother's and did not sleep well or long last night -- will have to brave the cottage today to retrieve it. Thank God the closest neighbors have a generator and freezer/refrig space and took my food. I worry about the outside kitties; they are being watered by other neighbors, but it must be so hot for them. Please be safe everybody.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

My sister lives in Va and they don't have power-she has cancer-I feel so bad for them-I would travel 6 hours to take food in a cooler but they said you might not even be able to get to them. I wish I had the power to help them all. We had 105 temperature yesterday and just going out in it I was red faced by the time I got home.I pray that this weather pattern leaves soon.We in Kingsport,TN aren't use to this kind of weather so I can gladly say I am ready for Fall.lol But I ask each of you please say a prayer for all that are without power, cancer and all that are sick and the power people that are out there in the heat trying to restore power.

Blog Entries
    I also live in Iowa and my power went out at 5:36pm Saturday and wasn't back on until 24 hours later. I was in my sewing room in the basement when the lights went out. Trying to cut frabic by flashlight and candles doesn't work to well. I finally went for a walk and went to bed early. I've lived in the same house for 34 years and this is the first time power was out that long. A tree fell on the wires on my side of the street, across the street still had power.

If you have some light, you can cut fabric. Catch up on reading.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtgirl View Post
    I have refrigerated meds for my RA....is a treadle hard on your hands or is it operated by another part of the body?
    A treadle has a large foot pedal that is rocked back and forth to power the drive shaft. If your RA does not affect your feet, I think you'd be fine.

Seeing all this happen makes me want to start nagging my husband about starting on the solar power for the house that he plans to do. I can do without light, we have candles and such, but with no power we have no water or A/C. Without A/C here I am not sure I could make it. I think I would be packing my my Featherweight and going to a hotel in Vegas.

Power Poster
    we had bad storms 2 nites in a row thank god didnt loose power hope you gets your back up soon!!!
    QUILTNMO

Quote Originally Posted by JabezRose View Post
    Treadle machine and one should stock up on those solar walk lights, work great in the house for power outage and recharge during the day. Work in candle sconces too if they are slim enough and get some of those rubber things that go on bottom of candle cups to put on them to make em fit candle wall scounces. Rain barrels next to house under eves with screens on them for flushing water. Grill food. Keep water stashed in basement for cooking. Gallons and the cases of bottles.
    Great ideas all! Don't have a basement though. But that is a minor issue. Treadle machine is great to keep your mind off things if the electricity is gone. I have never thought about those solar lights for the interior of the house to get around at night. Collecting rain water is always a good idea if you don't have mosquito issues or if you screen in your water collection buckets to keep the bugs out.

Yea for treadle in times like these. Hope you and family are ok though.

hi can you tell me what is frog stitching??? we had a storm here on friday nite and was told no electric for at least a week

That's exactly why my treadle machine is so important. Only requires my power LOL. Also I got a little battery powered lantern at Lowes and it really puts out the light. I've been amazed.

Hope your power is back on soon!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast