Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: No Power = No Sewing

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    hi can you tell me what is frog stitching??? .....
    Frog stitching = rip it, rip it, rip it

Also known as reverse sewing.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I have my husband attach my sewing machine to the generator!! Along with a light in my sewing room! No down time for me!! hehehe
    Mom to 2 Future Stitchers....Wife to One Great Hubby!
    "Once A Phi Sigma Sigma, Always A Phi Sigma Sigma!"

Blog Entries
    I am glad to hear that you all are okay after the storms went thru!!!! I know the feeling of running on generators for a few days. Learned how to be creative with a BBQ for all meals and enjoyed good old fashion card games.

I will be thinking of you with your power outage. Hope things will soonbe better.
    Texas raised, Texas Proud

Hang in Dorian! We had heat Sat of 108 and Sun of 103 and then the storms hit. Power blinked be didn't go out. Hope you get your power on soon!
    Pam Riggs

That's why I always have handwork to do. Never know when you can't use your machine!!
    Christine Tindell

My prayers are with all of you; years ago I was without power for almost 2 weeks during the winter. After that I got a treadle and hubby got a generator. Fortunately we haven't had to use them for that reason since. I have heard that if you aren't burning from heat your either burning from fire or being washed away by floods and Hurricanes. Hang in there and stay safe.

Blog Entries
    I remember Hurrican Katrina. Back then we only had the portable gasoline generators and it wasn't fun going outside in the wind and rain to add gasoline when it ran out but at least we had fans and lamps that worked. I hand sewed some yo-yo's during that time.
    Since then, my brother had a natural gas generator installed that powers the entire house. It's wonderful, we haven't had any storms since Katrina but we have had power outages and it is so nice because this one can power everything, especially the AC. Ten seconds after the power goes out the generator turns on.

P.S. I hope you get your power soon!
    Last edited by arbed31; 07-02-2012 at 09:40 AM. Reason: P.S.

Quote Originally Posted by OCquilter View Post
    I borrowed my husband's camping headlamp the last time our power was out. It is a great light for handwork and for reading. I requested my own the next Christmas.
    I saw online they had strapped a headlamp to a gallon milk jug full of water with the lamp shinning into the water. Made a lamp.

Power outages are often here (Louisiana) with the hurricanes, tornadoes, and occasional ice storms. When my DH built a shop a few years ago, he included a wood stove (heat) and a propane cook stove--and we have 2 gas generators. Still, it's a miserable time, especially when it lasts up to 3 weeks of no electric power.

We do have a generator for emergencies. However, I find other things to do. A little handwork will keep your hands busy. It is nice to do things together.
    Donna

Made my first jelly roll quilt by hand with candle lite. Came out great. Save your jelly rolls for times like this then you will keep busy.

Sorry about your power. That's when the old Singer Treadle comes in real handy.

Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian View Post
    A severe storm knocked out our power last night, around 5:30pm. As of 7:30 am, we're still without. I'm using the battery on my laptop. So, I guess if we're without power I'm going to have to practice my hand quilting.

I'm also going to start frog stitching the binding on a small quilt I did yesterday. The binding has to be redone. I've gotten some great ideas here to improve it.

Hope they get your power back on soon. Glad you weren't in the areas where houses were leveled and trees uprooted.

[.is a treadle hard on your hands or is it operated by another part of the body
    It is a foot operated sewing machine powered by a kind of a tapping your foot motion.I love mine and use it for almost all my piecing.

Blog Entries
    Last october 30th, we had a freak snow storm and was without electric power for nine days. Trees still had leaves so the weight of three feet of snow caused many broken trees and downed power lines. Hope you have it back now. I was lucky enough to have a treadle machine to sew on by kerosene lamps at night. It was like "In house camping!"

take care
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I hope you're up and running very soon! This is day 7 for us. My projects are calling me!
    Sewing: Cheaper than therapy!

Blog Entries
    Are there still those without power? Ours was out for about 18 hours, which was miserable for me. I can't imagine those that went for 3 + days. I'm praying that everyone is safe during these terrible warm days!!
    Dorian

If you've met one child with Autism, you've met ONE child with Autism.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3