Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Northcutt customer service >

Northcutt customer service

Northcutt customer service

Old 09-21-2017, 06:54 AM

Default Northcutt customer service

I purchased a Chips pack (5" squares) from a LQS. One piece was missing at least a third. I know the quilt store won't do any thing, so I contacted Northcutt last evening. This morning I received an email asking for my address so they could replace the entire pack. I really didn't anticipate that, but I think it speaks to the quality of their service.
On the other hand, every piece is 5" by 4 7/8". My HSTs are already sewn together so I hope I don't lose too much squaring them up with the one short side.
It is hard not to say 'charms', but that is a Moda name and Northcutt calls theirs 'chips'. Very nice fabric and the colors are great.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

That's good to hear. I buy charm packs but haven't bought Northcutt (except for yardage).
That's not cool that the quilt shop won't do anything.
Hope your pieces end up the right size.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:16 AM

To be honest, I haven't approached the quilt shop. One other time when I had a fabric that lost a lot of color when I prewashed it, they told me I shouldn't have prewashed it. What? A quilting cotton that can't be washed. So I haven't been in to see how this one was my fault.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:23 AM

Oh my, shouldn't have prewashed it! I prewash to prevent disasters after putting in hours and hours of work.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
To be honest, I haven't approached the quilt shop. One other time when I had a fabric that lost a lot of color when I prewashed it, they told me I shouldn't have prewashed it. What? A quilting cotton that can't be washed. So I haven't been in to see how this one was my fault.
That is so ignorant but believable when profit comes before taking responsibility of selling a shoddy product. I would never shop in that store again and would certainly have a 'tell' at guild meeting. Believe me a guild member done wrong, no business from other guild members.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:58 AM

I've gotten layer cakes with short pieces, but in all cases I had the correct number of full pieces. the short ones happened due to the overlap when they were layering the fabric out to cut. I buy very few of the charm size and have encountered that with them.

Your comment about prewashing reminded me - I recently bought an entire bolt of a nice black. it came with a paper insert that said the dye was some special whatever and that prewashing was not needed as it would not bleed. Then it went on to say if you wanted to prewash - to use COLD water. I washed it in warm water like normal with a color catcher, and the color catcher came out grey.

I had used this line of fabric in assorted colors and they always left a lot of color on the catcher, so I was surprised to see that note with the bolt. But I do suppose if I washed all my fabric in cold water, I would get less dye bleeding.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:08 PM

I've had nice service from Northcott also! And Paint Brush Studio fabrics was very generous with donations for a childrens' class my guild taught.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
That is so ignorant but believable when profit comes before taking responsibility of selling a shoddy product. I would never shop in that store again and would certainly have a 'tell' at guild meeting. Believe me a guild member done wrong, no business from other guild members.
I do not attend our local guild, but if I did, it wouldn't be the place to complain about the LQS. All the employees are guild members. We have one LQS and one guild. There is another LQS in the country about 10 miles out. I rarely have to shop the store - my stash is extensive, besides most of my purchases would be batiks and they are $13-14 a yard.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:50 PM

Always good to hear about good customer service, thanks for sharing. (And boo to your LQS regarding the pre-washing comment!)
Old 09-22-2017, 04:58 AM

It is frustrating when precuts are not exactly the size that you expect. I'm a careful cutter. I recently made a disappearing 9-patch using charm squares and squares that I had cut. Some, but not all, of the precuts were undersized. None were oversized. I had to cut all of the squares down to the same size.