Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What has happened to customer service >

What has happened to customer service

What has happened to customer service

Old 12-14-2009, 07:31 AM

I was in Hancock fabric the other week. It was first thing in the morning. There was only one other customer in the store. There were two employees. One of which was the manager.
One was on the cutting table and the manager went to the back. I only needed one thing and was ready to be checked out. The employee at the cutting table said she would be with me shortly. I had to wait until she finished cutting fabric for the other customer. When she finally came to the front I told her that I thought that the other lady would have come to check me out. She stated that she was in the back faxing. I was surprised at this. I use to work retail and was always told that the customers in the store came first. I even had to put aside money when counting if a customer needed to be waited on. I am surprised how people think that since they are a manager they do not have to wait on customers.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:33 AM

Yeah a little powere goes right to some folks head. It happens.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:47 AM
Banned

oooohhh for the good ole days.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:54 AM

Well in this economy they'd all better smarten up or face the consequences. It's definitely a buyer's market....if you can find a buyer to buy what you're selling!! :shock:
Old 12-14-2009, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

I have never been in a Hancock's Fabric store that I didn't get frustrated with the service and lack of knowledge about anything sold in the store. I haven't been to one in several years for that very reason. Hancock's of Paducah is not associated with Hancock's Fabric at all and they are top notch with customers.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:01 AM

Who knows where it has gone. We went to JoAnn's yesterday to return some ribbon that we didn't purchase but somehow ended up on the receipt. My boyfriend, bless his heart, paid for all the goodies so that meant he had to wait in line and do the return. So I went off walking around for about 15 mins and he was still there with the cashier. She didn't know how to do a return, meaning, she couldn't return the funds back to his card. So she ended up giving him cash. Isn't there some type of training???

Also, here's another story, I went to Hancock Fabrics last weekend, I wanted fabric cut. Guess what the lady did.... She ripped it! I was so stunned and speechless. I told her that I wanted it cut. She said, "since it's a natural fiber, ripping is best because it rips evenly". So I told her again that I want the rest CUT and she still didn't do it. Why can't employees just do what the customer wants?
Old 12-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

I don't mind my fabric ripped but if I said do not rip I wouldn't have paid for it if it was ripped. How Rude of the employee to treat you that way!
Old 12-14-2009, 09:25 AM

What people seem to not understand these days is that discount stores of all types only pay minimum wage. Business can not afford to pay good wages for good people and then discount everything.

On top of the minimum wage, the business must pay taxes, insurance, workman's comp etc which results in about 33% more than the actual employee receives.

Remember,you get what you pay for!

No, I don't own a store but know a number of small business owners who struggle to meet payroll every week.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:39 AM

I guess my response to getting what you pay for goes something like this, when you hire employees say..."these are the requirements of and for the job..this is what you get paid..if its not enough, look for a job elsewhere." There are people who will work their butts off because they committed to an employer and take pride in what they do, have respect for themselves, and go the extra mile because its the right thing to do. I'm quite sure every penny of my wages are earned. Maybe that's a little old fashioned, but its how I trained my kids too. I'm so tired of "I don't get paid to do that" well, you don't get paid to complain about your job either. Don't like it? Find a new one!
Old 12-14-2009, 09:54 AM

I use to go to Hancocks a lot but the last time I went in I found poor quality fabric, the place was a mess and no one there was the least bit interested in helping. I will not go back in that store. I would bet within the year it will close. It is a shame but they do have a JoAnn's close by.