Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not happy with quilting class >

Not happy with quilting class

Not happy with quilting class

Old 05-18-2016, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
When I first started quilting signed up for every quilt class I could go to. I learned more about quilting classes then quilting. LOL If the teacher caters to the unprepared student and the rest of the class sits and waits. I speak up! I didn't use to but it's my time and money and I got over being nice and losing out. If the teacher isn't giving her full attention to the class I ask for my money back after the first half of the class. I don't wait her out. If the teacher is rude I say something immediately in front of the whole class. I've learned how to be a good class member too. I never say there is a faster or another way to do something then what is taught. There is always one person in the class that does this and no one cares to hear it. I don't try to use a regular ruler when a specialty ruler is recommended. I come prepared and on time. I don't ask to borrow. I don't chew gum or wear perfume. I turn my phone to silent.
I would like to have you for a classmate!
Old 05-18-2016, 11:17 AM

When I first started quilting signed up for every quilt class I could go to. I learned more about quilting classes then quilting. LOL If the teacher caters to the unprepared student and the rest of the class sits and waits. I speak up! I didn't use to but it's my time and money and I got over being nice and losing out. If the teacher isn't giving her full attention to the class I ask for my money back after the first half of the class. I don't wait her out. If the teacher is rude I say something immediately in front of the whole class. I've learned how to be a good class member too. I never say there is a faster or another way to do something then what is taught. There is always one person in the class that does this and no one cares to hear it. I don't try to use a regular ruler when a specialty ruler is recommended. I come prepared and on time. I don't ask to borrow. I don't chew gum or wear perfume. I turn my phone to silent.
If you add to that minding your own business and not pushing other class members to tell about their families or personal lives, I'll go for it. I want to hear the instructor, not a bunch of friends keeping up with the gossip about their families and creating distractions. Go out for lunch after if that's why you are using the class as a social hour.

Don't denigrate someone elses machine if it is that type of class, nor their color choice.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:03 PM

Oh my! I love to take classes when I can. I work full time so the opportunities are rare.

I was taking a class that took a lot of concentration. As I went through step by step, my table mate said "you know you are talking out loud". I didn't realize -- I never do this. I appreciated that she mentioned it. The last thing I want to do is bother someone.

Sometimes a mention is so much better than stewing.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:14 PM
Power Poster

Don't denigrate someone elses machine if it is that type of class, nor their color choice.
I don't understand anyone being negative about anyone's machine. Piecing is 99. 9% straight seams. Why do you need a fancy machine for that in a basic quilt class?
Old 05-19-2016, 05:08 AM

I don't understand anyone being negative about anyone's machine. Piecing is 99. 9% straight seams. Why do you need a fancy machine for that in a basic quilt class?
You might own only what's called a fancy machine. The old Brother PC6500 comes to mind. Fancy stitches and it was also an embroidery machine. Its fans (it's still considered a workhorse) did all with it. I'd use a Pfaff 2140 as it's smaller and lighter than the Juki. Brother and Babylock still put out small "do it all" machines. Singer has a 4 in one.

I wouldn't want to be "required" to use what most quilters like unless the class was for that specific machine. General quilting - use what you have.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:39 AM

I took a beginner class from a very unknown lady who went on to be a fairly well-recognized published author. She was all the bad things, arrogant, syrupy smile, singled people including me out, wanted everything her way. The experience was bad enough that I never took another class and no I didn't buy any of her books, and didn't even finish the quilt (a hand-pieced sampler).

But I learned a few tricks in that class that I'm so thankful to know in hindsight. The teacher learned to quilt from her Grandmother (a prolific circa 30s quilter) and brought some of her techniques to the class. In the olden days, people didn't mess around with fancy sewing machines and threads. For many, quilting was a utilitarian thing and needed to be done quickly, so they were good at finding speed techniques.

Honestly, at this point I wish I could find this woman again for a class. I might sit in the back, LOL, but I would listen and see if I could pick up a few more tips to change my quilty world.

By the way, my fave tip was tying knots for hand quilting. Lay the needle on the thread in the place where you want the knot. Wind the thread around the needle a few times and pull the needle through. This works much faster than it sounds here and creates a good little cylinder - shaped knot that pops through the top layer easily and remains in the sandwich very nicely.

Come to think of it, I did actually try one more class, taught by a well known author. She was nice enough, but it was so boring, I fell asleep and didn't go back (didn't ask for a refund either). I'd take the rude teacher over her any day.

Last edited by TeresaA; 05-26-2016 at 03:49 AM.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:36 AM

I have learned more in my short time on this board than I could ever learn in a quilting class.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:49 PM

Here's my take on this, and, for that matter, the world. There is always something new to learn. You may never use what you learn, but something may come up where that thing you hated learning is both needed and helpful.

However, it's your life, your decision, so do what makes you happiest.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:05 PM

Ai went to a day class and left at dinner time. I thanked the teacher but told her it was not what I expected. I was left on my own to sort out instructions while she was chatting non stop with others in the class she knew. These teachers are earning more per hour than a qualified school teacher so they should care for all.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am View Post
gotta agree here -- you can learn something from everyone -- even if you don't like it!...
I hate quitting anything, because even if something is really boring/foul, you learn something (even if it is to avoid such situations in the future ).