Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not happy with quilting class >

Not happy with quilting class

Not happy with quilting class

Old 02-29-2016, 04:53 PM

Any teacher worth learning from would instruct the class that this is the way I do things, but if you have another way that is easier for you then please do it your way. Then ask you to show how you do it. May end up being a good lesson for her too. There is always more than one way to do something. You choose whats best for you. I have taught a few to quilt & I always tell them this is the way I do it, but others have different ways to do it.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by gmac01 View Post
Thanks everyone for all the advice. I have decided to continue the class. The teacher is awesome and you can tell she is very knowledgeable and loves sharing her gifts with everyone. The class is the second in a series of skill building projects. I think while I may not like the projects we are currently working on ( designing your own quilt patterns) and sometimes feel rushed to get projects completed, there is still alot I can learn from it all. I'm gonna relax my self expectations to do it all as fast as I can, and just enjoy the experience!
Glad you have decided to stick with it. Sometimes, with skill building classes, teachers will ask for something to be done a specific (and new way) because they plan to have you build upon that skill later.

And while you may not be really enthused about designing your own quilt-you can certainly point proudly later on that you can do that! I too have a tendency in classes to want to finish the project in the class, rush and don't do a great job. But as a teacher, I realize that everyone works at her own speed and some will finish in class, some at home, and some next time around! So enjoy it, decided that you are there to learn as much as you can (AND I bet there's no final exam, right? no grade?!) and you will definitely have some parts of it that you use later, others that are on the "maybe" shelf and other techniques that you decide just aren't for you--but even that is a learning experience.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:17 PM

I am also a self taught quilter and figuring things out for myself doesn't always lead to the best nor easiest techniques. I have learned a lot from videos and tutorials here on the QB. I would love to take classes. I think I would want to stick with it, learning the new ways but not feeling they are the ONLY way to do things. And try not to feel they are saying your way is wrong, it's just different.

I would not give up my way of doing things if I like them better, just go back to them after the class. The things you learn may very likely come up helpful later on when you are trying a new pattern, or technique. I know I have given up some of my original ideas for others that have proven easier in the long run. Give the lesson's a chance is my vote.

Now I saw that you are continuing the class, and I say good for you! You are right, relax what you expect from yourself and just enjoy!

Last edited by wildyard; 02-29-2016 at 06:21 PM. Reason: to add comment.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:11 PM

I also think you have made a good decision, even though I said earlier that you should stop if you aren't enjoying it... Just take from the class what you want and take the rest as just "interesting information."

Dina
Old 02-29-2016, 08:33 PM

You are getting a lot of feedback and might be a bit overwhelmed by it all. What it boils down to is that it is your quilt life and you should do what you feel is right for you. There is no right or wrong. the decision is yours and you need to make the one that you can live with. Don't do what you really don't want to do because you feel you might be letting people down. We all have had good/bad experiences with classes and what works for some may not work for others. Make the decision you want to make and don't worry about what anyone thinks. Quilting should be fun, not a chore to get thru. (This is my humble opinion.)
Old 03-01-2016, 06:59 AM

I'm not sure what's making you unhappy. If the teacher is teaching methods other than what you have been doing, there's no reason to not keep doing it your way after the class is over. Sometimes though in a class there is an "aha" moment when I realize there's a much easier or better way to do something. You paid good money to take the class, so you might as well finish it to see if there's anything of value to you. On the other hand if the teacher or the other students are what's making you unhappy, life is too short to be miserable.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:13 AM

Be sure to keep at the hand-outs and notes you may have taken from the class. Somewhere down the line, that may be exactly what you need. And I found out, as a teacher, I learn something from my students at almost every class. I show them my way and ask them if they know another way. So we learn from each other.

As for the names she called you, I'll bet these were said in jest. But they were still cruel.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:34 AM

Normally I say finish what you started. But I took an oil painting class over twenty years ago and it changed the way I painted. I don't care if what the teacher said was right, I never went back to painting. And I'm not sure I could ever regain the freedom of expression I had.

My advice? Drop the class.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:57 AM

I agree with "sewbizgirl'. I too am a self taught person. I love to quilt. Classes are not for me.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by gmac01 View Post
Thanks everyone for all the advice. I have decided to continue the class. The teacher is awesome and you can tell she is very knowledgeable and loves sharing her gifts with everyone. The class is the second in a series of skill building projects. I think while I may not like the projects we are currently working on ( designing your own quilt patterns) and sometimes feel rushed to get projects completed, there is still alot I can learn from it all. I'm gonna relax my self expectations to do it all as fast as I can, and just enjoy the experience!
I have taken many classes over the years, sewing, quilting, gardening, minor home repair and am now a university student. I have never had a belittling instructor as an adult, but I did as a very young child and it haunts me to this day.

Some classes, I have signed up for, turned out not to be what I expected, one bra making class, the instructor was not good at fitting. But that did not stop me from making bras, I found another instructor and was able to fill in the gaps.

I have picked up good tips at each class I have taken (including the bra class where the instructor could not 'fit'), some I use to this day.

I understand about some techniques not being a fit for my preferred methods, but I always try the 'new' way it may just turn out to be easier in the long run.

I am glad you decided to stick it out.