Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not happy with quilting class >

Not happy with quilting class

Not happy with quilting class

Old 02-28-2016, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
I would continue. There are many ways to accomplish the same results. Just think of this as an experience in other options. You may find something that will help in a particular pattern. Then when the class is over you can go back to the process you prefer
gotta agree here -- you can learn something from everyone -- even if you don't like it!...
Old 02-28-2016, 09:13 PM

I started quilting by taking a class. I worked upstairs over a quilt store and would come down to have lunch with the ladies downstairs. I had never quilted, so to me it was very helpful. I was amazed when I realized that you could sew strips together, cut them and sew them together to make a nine-patch block..that got me hooked. Another class I took was a stack-n-whack..oh my, all those blocks from the same material and each so different.

I could tell many stories of very good and exciting classes. I did have an expirience when a teacher expected us to know all the termenlogy (quilt talk) and I felt ignorant. Over all I like classes.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
Reading some of these comments and it isn't enticing to me to go to a quilt class. Critical, belittling, rude. Whoo! Sounds like a disaster. I'm sure there are good instructors out there, but it's a shame that some of you have had such bad experiences.
Awww... there are plenty of really wonderful quilting classes out there. I definitely wouldn't waste my time going to a class I really hated unless it was the only way I could learn a specific technique I needed for a customer quilt. I hope that situation never arises. So far, all my real life quilting classes have been wonderful & all but one of the paid on-line classes have been fantastic as well (there was one that was mediocre, but the teacher was still pleasant & I did learn a few things).

Quilting should be fun so I don't care how technically proficient a particular "teacher" is, if she isn't effective at teaching, it's a waste of my time. I'd hope to get my money back but it seems like a double punishment to me if I have to pay all that money and sit there and be belittled. I've only taught family & friends how to quilt, but I'm a licensed school teacher and was taught at the university that research shows a bad teacher impacts a child for 3 more years. I am very picky about teachers. I expect them to have good subject-matter knowledge, to care about their students & to know how to manage a group. I've had such great experiences that I wish I could take more live classes, but due to mobility issues, it's hard for me to get out much so mostly I take classes online through AQS and NQC. But it is nice to take live classes because then the teacher can see what I'm doing and actually give me feedback when I'm doing something well or getting confused or doing something the hard way. The best teacher I've had so far was Mary Fons. Because she also has dealt with severe pain & a health disability, she was very understanding that sometimes I cannot do things the way you're "supposed to" and came up with some wonderful accommodations for me that made it an especially enjoyable & productive workshop. I've learned plenty from watching F&P on TV over the years, but having a live teacher there to help with technique & color choices made a real difference.

Please don't give up on the idea of taking classes. I haven't taken as many as other members here, but every one I have taken has been fun & educational.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:39 AM

What was it that made you want to take the class in the first place? I usually look forward to learning new techniques, process or pattern. I don't have to agree with the way things are done, like they say, there is more than one way to skin a cat but I usually enjoy other ideas and learn from experiences of other quilters. Depending on how many more classes you have to endure, you may just want to stick it out...
Old 02-29-2016, 04:13 AM

How sad it is that one person can dampen the enthusiasm and excitement an individual has for any art or craft. I wonder how many of the world's great artists have had that experience? I, too, am a self-taught quilter who has come through the world of home sewing and costuming for high school, college, and community theatres. I was always allowed the freedom to do what I wanted -- within reason, of course -- as far as stage costumes were concerned. I knew my limits and I tried to expand them with each and every show, each and every director. I believe I succeeded.

When I began quilting, it was to make a stage curtain out of leftovers from the costumes. The curtain was eight feet tall and ten feet wide. I used only big blocks sewn together, but that curtain became several good-sized picnic blankets for members of the company. I still have mine and use it often.

That being said, when I entered the world of quilting seriously, I learned from anyone and everyone who could/would teach me a new technique or process. I have been blessed to have had truly wonderful teachers who would offer suggestions and provide positive feedback, but never undermine my efforts or tear down my confidence levels.

I am sorry that you have had an unpleasant experience. If you truly feel that you would be better off without the class, then drop it. After seventy plus years, I have come to realize that I don't have to put up with negativity. I hope you feel the same way. You could certainly use the time you would spend in an uncomfortable class doing something wonderful -- like creating a quilt you can savor and enjoy.

Be sure to let the teacher and/or the sponsor know just how you feel, though. Be simple and straight forward. That may bring about some changes in the teaching technique. Whatever you decide, though, don't give up quilting!!
Old 02-29-2016, 05:56 AM

Sometimes it's the instructor and not the class that's the problem. I am also self taught but I've taken many classes over the years. I take them because I feel I will learn something new. If I learn a better or easier way that's great but if not I've at least gotten to meet new people. I too am stubborn. If I've paid for a class I'm going to take it regardless of the teacher or students attitude.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:11 AM

I find I can always learn something new. Sometimes I don't want to put it to use in my quilting, but many times I find a new way of doing something that I never thought of.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:59 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
I would continue. There are many ways to accomplish the same results. Just think of this as an experience in other options. You may find something that will help in a particular pattern. Then when the class is over you can go back to the process you prefer
I agree completely. I think being open to new ways/methods/styles is always best because you
ultimately get to pick and choose what you want to do on your own. Now if the teacher is
offensive that's another matter...but I'd continue and then discard what I didn't want to use.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:03 AM

Only 2 possible choices, either learn from an experienced quilter or continue to do what you're doing. I think if you felt you were doing well on your own you would not have taken a class.

Quilting is fun and part of the fun is being challenged. Quilters are always looking for new and interesting methods, tips and tools (think Missouri Star Quilts), and the class may be where you will find them.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:09 AM

You said it was a monthly class. For how many months will it go on?

Learning a new technique in the class doesn't mean you must adopt the method when you're sewing at home. Is it the idea that you weren't doing things 'right' that took the fun out of it?