Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not happy with quilting class >

Not happy with quilting class

Not happy with quilting class

Old 02-28-2016, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

You can usually trust your 'gut instincts' and if the classes have been bothering you thus far, they aren't likely to get any better. Cut your losses and run. Spend that time doing something you will enjoy (like quilting at home!).
Old 02-28-2016, 01:30 PM

I took a class from a well known teacher. I was making a Christmas quilt and she told me that I couldn't use red and green together because the eye would see brown. I told her that I was making a Christmas quilt and that did not seem to matter to her and continued to discuss my use of red and green. And I thought about all the quilters out there who were using the wrong colors for a Christmas quilt. So I left at the first break. Did not take another quilting class for many years, but eventually I took a class with a wonderful teacher. I regret not taking classes all those years because of one bad experience, but was very happy that I did not stay at the first one!
Old 02-28-2016, 02:11 PM

I'd try to privately express your concerns to the instructor. I'm not sure that I'd quit after I'd paid and am not sure if they are expecting you to. Any chance others feel the same?
Old 02-28-2016, 02:34 PM

I'm with "life is too short" opinions. I figure, I am an adult and if I take a class for enjoyment and it doesn't meet my expectations, why bother. Maybe it will turn out that what you learned is that you don't care for classes But, hopefully some time you will try a different class and find you like it. It's all up to you.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
I took a class from a well known teacher. I was making a Christmas quilt and she told me that I couldn't use red and green together because the eye would see brown. I told her that I was making a Christmas quilt and that did not seem to matter to her and continued to discuss my use of red and green. And I thought about all the quilters out there who were using the wrong colors for a Christmas quilt. So I left at the first break. Did not take another quilting class for many years, but eventually I took a class with a wonderful teacher. I regret not taking classes all those years because of one bad experience, but was very happy that I did not stay at the first one!
I can well imagine!

We were told to take red and green and come up with neutral gray in college design classes using Gouache. We had to paint squares of the colors showing how we got there. Orange and blue, yellow and violet are the other pairs to make gray. I did the red and green.

You get a funky brown when you mix everything.

I made a Celtic heart wall hanging using Southewestern colors. It looked great. The instructor was a bit surprised even though she had said nothing about my color choice.

I don't take many classes, but the ones where the same group take the classes and it becomes an old crony get together irk me.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:22 PM

I too am self taught. I also took one class early on. I stuck it out, but in hindsight, should have just left. It took me a long time to "get over" much of what was said, and the way it was said, or taught. I have learned much more here, on this board. Everyone is always so supportive and encouraging. Some people have the ability to deflate any self confidence you have. There are no quilt police. Find what works for you. Through this board I have had many light bulb moments. Enjoy what you do!
Old 02-28-2016, 05:21 PM

a "teacher" that puts you down isn't there to teach, but to give themselves an ego boost.

If you have specific concerns, I would address them with the teacher. You paid the money, you have a right to certain expectations and to be certain those are met. If the teacher is intractable, then I would walk. But at least I'd try. You quilt because it brings you joy, no matter the technique. If the class is turning that into a chore, then it's counter-productive in my opinion.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:51 PM

I would also look at why you don't like it. I've been sewing since I was a child and discovered later in life when I took some sewing classes. that there were better ways to do a lot of things. I've learned new techniques and ways to do things at every quilting class I've taken and not only from the teacher. I've learned a great deal from the other students. It might be good to have some formal training. You might learn a better way to do something.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
Reading some of these comments and it isn't enticing to me to go to a quilt class. Critical, belittling, rude. Whoo! Sounds like a disaster. I'm sure there are good instructors out there, but it's a shame that some of you have had such bad experiences.
I totally agree! I love taking classes, love learning new stuff, hate repeating the same quilt pattern and feel bad that so many have had such negative experiences. As an educator, and now in retirement helping to teach beginner quilt classes, I will say that just because someone can do something well, doesn't necessarily mean they can teach it. The old adage "those that can, do; those that can't, teach" is malarky! While you want a teacher to know what they are doing skill-wise--you also want a teacher that is people-saavy--that can defuse that person that wants to "take over" the class, or demands much more individual time than allows others to receive help, that is organized in their teaching style, that uses several modems to teach--visual, auditory, demos, has good written hand-outs, etc. And lastly, makes each class member to feel like they are having a good experience--even if what they thought they would learn is not exactly what the class is about. And lastly, a good teacher will have a feedback form so that they too will learn from their teaching experience.

Have I taken some less than great classes? you bet--both long arm and quilt classes. But I have to say I have learned SOMETHING from each one,even if I was disappointed in the method of the teaching or the amount that I learned. So if you haven't taken a class or 2, don't avoid just because there are some negative experiences out there--it would be like avoiding meeting people because you've met one bad one!
Old 02-28-2016, 08:44 PM

Since the 1990's I have taken many classes from different teachers, only once did I pack up machines etc and just take notes for the rest of the first class...had purchased the quilting book for the class. I emailed teacher and told her I would not be returning ( I had paid for the series of class, however I was working full time at that time and did not want to waste my day off attending this class) what a relief not to think about going back the following week, it was not the teacher it was the group of 4 quilters taking over space and class engery. So you decide but I would not return.

Judy in Phx, AZ